The rain we had this past weekend softened the ground and made conditons perfect for some serious weed pulling. A crew of three landscapers arrived bright and early Monday morning and they got to work.
Their objective was to see how far they could get in one day, pulling the majority of the large weeds, and clearing the paths.
By the end of the day, they had cleared seven rows! I only had the crew for the one day, because they had another job for the rest of this week ... they will be back soon, when conditions are right, to keep going.
It is now up to me to kill the remaining small weeds in the cleared area. Surgical use of herbicide is the most effective way to accomplish this.
So far this morning, I have carefully sprayed three gallons onto the paths and underneath the roses in five and a half of the seven rows that are cleared. As soon as I finish here, I will go back out and spray some more. Now that I have the upper hand, I want it to stay that way.
Tomorrow, we will return to our August Break, publishing one photo per day. I took a 'vacation' today, because I'm so pleased with what has been accomplished in the Rose Field this week.