Monday, August 22, 2011

Have You Noticed?

It's been sitting over there on the right, at the top of my sidebar, for a month now ... and no one has said anything about it.  Did you see it?



One of our special guests at the "Take a Bite Out of Canine Cancer" benefit in November will be Victoria Stilwell!

I first saw Victoria Stilwell on TV when she was a judge on CBS's program "The Greatest American Dog".  Normally, I wouldn't watch a show like this, but Laurie Williams, a local woman I know, was competing with her dog, Andrew, and I wanted to support the 'home team'.  (Laurie and Andrew ended up coming in second.)  I saw that Victoria was harsh, but practical, positive, and fair, and I became a bit of a fan.

You have probably seen Victoria on her Animal Planet show, "It's Me or the Dog", where she assesses families and problem dogs and offers training and solutions.  What I like about her is that she cuts to the heart of the problem and focuses her 'training' on the humans, teaching them how to positively encourage their dog(s) to become polite members of the family.

For our event, Victoria will be the featured speaker at our Satuday evening dessert party (the signature activity at our event!)  We are incredibly excited to have her! 

This was yesterday afternoon's planning meeting, held at my house in our pavilion ... because it was such a nice afternoon ... until we were run inside by the threat of a severe thunderstorm.  In this photo, bottom to top, you see Windsor, Derby, Daniel, Mercedes, and TJ.


"Take a Bite Out of Canine Cancer" is a dog-friendly event open to all dog lovers and all breeds of dogs ... leashed, well-socialized dogs are welcome at all activities for this 2-day event.

Here are the details:

"Take a Bite Out of Canine Cancer"
November 12 - 13, 2011
Fredericksburg Hospitality House Hotel and Conference Center
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Tickets are $85 per person, which includes admission to the entire weekend worth of activities. 
(It's a bargain, trust me.)
For out-of-town guests, our group rate at the event hotel is $79 per night.

Details of activities, registration form, hotel info, and FAQ are all on our web site.



We are now less than 90 days out, and our plans and schedule are almost finished.  This is our 6th year of doing this, and every year our event gets better and better (in my most humble opinion).  It's a ton of work for our very dedicated and tireless small group of volunteers, and we all do it because of our love for dogs.

In response to comments, I am editing this to add:  We have a page on our web site where anyone can make donations.  You can donate by check or via PayPal.  (Click HERE to go to the donation page)  We are also registered with iGive. You can do your online shopping through iGive, designate Greyhounds Rock as your beneficiary, and we will receive a percentage of your purchase.  Donations of items or services to be used in our fundraising efforts are also gratefully accepted.

Every little bit helps.

14 comments:

  1. OH- No, I didn't see it before. I am one of those crazy people that never looks at sidebars. What a wonderful event to be sponsoring. I will go read more about it. You are a good soul, Connie! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie I did see it but since I don't live near you just never mentioned it. I am a big fan of yours and all you do for the Greyhounds! I hope your event is a huge success. Love the photo of all the guys!
    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so go if I lived closer!

    I love her and kudos to you for getting her there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is there a place that people from afar can donate?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two of my good friends are Greyhound Rescurers, I will pass the information on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Divine Theater, darling, thank you for asking ... we have a Donate page on our web site. You can donate by check or via PayPal.
    http://www.greyhoundsrock.org/donations.php

    We are also registered with iGive. You can do your online shopping through iGive and designate Greyhounds Rock as your beneficiary.

    Donations of items or services to be used in our fundraising efforts are also gratefully accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did see it and I do like her, but don't live close, so I didn't mention it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I clicked through last week and if I was near I would be there in a heartbeat!
    I adore that pic of all the pups taking a snooze. Just beautiful and peaceful them. The way it should be...
    xo, misha

    p.s. my word verification is BONE! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great pic! How'd you guys get them to go down for a nap all together? I'm sure you'll have a wonderful event. Eat some dessert for me. BTW, I had noticed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have seen her
    on Animal Planet;
    what a great thing
    that she will be at
    this event!! Wish
    I could attend. I
    am actually going to
    be in Maryland for
    Thanksgiving this year,
    but not that early : (.
    Love the pic of the
    dogs on the porch!!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so love this-I'll be sharing it with my friend that has two greyhounds and also raises money for greyhound rescue!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First time to your blog. The greyhounds caught my eye. I am a former owner till she died at age 13 1/2. She was a great gal. Also, I love barn paintings, My mo has done several for me, and she is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janette, it's always great to 'meet' another greyhound owner. I hope you like what you found on your first visit, and that you will come back from time to time. (consider making your email visible and I can send private replies.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails