Friday, December 9, 2011

My Little Slice of the Antique Business

Here it is, your first look at my booth at the antique mall, with the first load of items in place.



All morning yesterday, I gathered things from my stash throughout our basement and garages, polished and priced each of them, and loaded small things into my Jeep.



Large items went into my truck.



The Husband drove the truck and I drove the Jeep..  He helped me unload everything, then he went back home to work.



This space still needs a lot more stuff ... but this was as much as we could bring in one trip with the two vehicles.  It's going to take quite a bit more practice for me to learn how to arrange things to maximize my space, and to still have room for customers to move around.



My plan is to have a mix of items, some finished and some not, to appeal to a wider range of buyers.  If I were shopping and I came across this booth, I doubt I would look at the painted mirror or bed (because I can do this myself) ... but I would be all over the set of project chairs, and maybe that red settee.  There are folks, though, that want their stuff ready-to-go and would make a bee-line for the painted pieces.  If this plan doesn't work, and the project items sit here too long, I can always bring them back home, finish them, and take them back to the booth for another try.



One thing that I especially love is lighting ... lamps and chandeliers and sconces with character.  Honestly, I wish I had a place for this sconce with the green glass shade because it is gorgeous ... and the galvanized porch fixture beside it has just the right amount of rust.



What's the item I most wish I could keep, you ask?  That would be the English cheese dish, in the photo below.  I bought it because I loved the graphic quality of the letters on the chunky white dish ... then I found out what it is and that they go for a lot of money on eBay.  The pine hutch it's sitting on is a piece that I'm selling as a project.  It's a great size, and it's patiently waiting for someone to give it a coat or two of their favorite color.



As I was arranging furniture and small items, I realized very quickly that I have a long way to go before I'm any good at this.  But this is my space to do with as I please, and I will do what I can to make it work for what I plan to sell.   What I need to do next is hang shelving on the blank wall behind the settee to stand large things (like the wicker tray and the lazy susan, above) and figure out a way to display chandeliers (I cannot go any higher than the current walls of the booth since I'm an inside space).  I have a couple of ideas about what to do.

If you're in the neighborhood, come on down and see the place in person!


Minuteman Mini Mall
Route 3, 746 Germanna Highway, Culpeper, VA 22701

13 comments:

  1. WOW, look at YOU!!!... congratulations.. I wish I could browse your space! I love antique malls. Good luck!..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like finished items because I'm lazy and just don't take the time to do projects... it's looking wonderful... can't wait to see it all filled up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Welcome to the Crazy Club.

    :-)

    Your space looks fabulous, Connie -- and it is so BIG! I'm jealous. I'd love to bring more furniture to mine, but it's so teensy and the whole mall is so crowded with all sorts of breakables that I fear I'd be the bull in the china shop, trundling in cupboards and headboards.

    GOOD LUCK, and don't forget to report your first big sale!
    Cause I think it should be soon!
    Love, Cass

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie it looks great and I know you will enjoy this! I went right for the painted headboard...lol. Love it! I promise to come see you if I ever get to VA. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, how faraway is Culpepper.....

    xo J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great start! How ARE you going to hang chandeliers if you can't go above the walls of the booth? You're going to have to be tricky. It's going to look great when you're all moved in--then you'll sell everything and have to start all over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks nice, Good Luck on your first sale.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello,
    I'm new to your lovely blog and have always wanted to have a little spot to sell treasures...lucky you!

    Roses are so beautiful! I've tried to grow them but end up with black spot and other diseases and beetles!


    Anyway....I'd like to invite you over to enter my giveaway of a great decor book by Southern Living! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a good thing I'm not close... I'd be all over that settee and I don't have room for it! Everything is looking great. I had no doubts it would. You've got the knack!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, perhaps you could attach arms to the upper shelves and hang the chandeliers. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's looking great! I think you're off to a good start! Good luck! I wish I was closer to stop by and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay, it all looks great! I hope you sell out quickly!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's all coming together...woohoo! I love the bed frames..the color and the style look really lovely and so unique.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails