Monday, August 30, 2010

It's Good to Be Home

We got home Saturday night, at about 10pm.  It's taken me until now to get the time and energy to finish telling you about the rest of our Las Vegas trip. 

Friday morning, we headed out to see some more Vegas sights.

The lions at the MGM Grand were like great big house cats.

I was fascinated by The Bodies exhibit.  It is not (I repeat, NOT) for any of you who tend to be squeamish.  Our friends who visited the Titanic exhibit at the same time said that it was also fabulous.

We had lunch here ... a place that Kim saw on the Food Channel and thought looked good.  It was wonderful!

My lunch (two pounds of crawfish, potatoes, and corn on the cob) was delivered in this plastic bag.  It was necessary to (1) wear a bib, and (2) line my lap with paper towels to prevent a huge mess.

See how messy it was?

This was our next stop.  It was in Friday morning's USA Today, which had an article on the best ice cream places throughout the country.  (I recommend the Butter Pecan).  By coincidence, the best ice cream place they listed in Virginia is right here in Fredericksburg ... Carl's!

We passed this place almost every time we left the hotel to go somewhere.  We laughed every time at the ridiculousness of the sign.  Friday afternoon, we were finally stopped at the light so I could get a photo of it.

I couldn't leave Las Vegas without making a trip to Fremont Street.  I'm sure it's changed quite a bit since my parents honeymooned here in '59.  My mom was underage at the time, and she was disappointed that she couldn't gamble. 

After dinner at the hotel room, finishing all the munchies we bought at Albertson's when we arrived on Tuesday, and Frank Caliendo's show, it was time to pack up and get ready to come home bright and early on Saturday morning.

This is what our Suburban looked like when we turned it in at the airport.  The rental return guy asked, "Do you think you could have gotten it any dirtier?"  40+ miles of dirt road on the way to and from the Grand Canyon on Thursday, plus a couple of rain showers, made quite a mess.

It's great to be home, to sleep in my own bed!  I went yesterday to pick up the dogs, who were staying with friends in Northern Virginia.  Daniel had a great time, being part of the pack.  Emma, on the other hand, was completely miserable.  She barely ate, moped around most of the time, and had our friends worried to death.  She's still not doing too well ... I have an appointment at 10:30 for the vet to look her over, to make sure there's nothing serious going on.  (a few prayers here would be appreciated, if you can.)

(written by Hartwood Roses.  Hartwood Roses blog.)


  1. prayers for sweet Emma...she missed her mama

  2. The bodies exhibit looks pretty neat, and oh yes, could you have gotten that SUV any dirtier for heaven sakes? LOL

    Extending warn wishes to Emma. Poor baby, pups are so sensitive.


  3. Hi Connie! Glad to see you all made it home safely. I want to thank you for sharing that LV trip with us all. I've never been there, so it was fun to see photos of it! Poor sweet Emma. I know that Greyhounds are very sensitive when it comes to change in the household. I pray that that's all it is...

    xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

  4. Looks like you had a fabulous trip! The Grand Canyon is AWESOME and I would love to go again! Las Vegas would be fun, too- I haven't been there in 30 years!

  5. I hope Emma is just sulking to make you feel bad for leaving her. I have known dogs to do that.

  6. I hope Emma's appointment went well today, I've been thinking about you!

    Glad you are back home safe and sound and I love the pictures!

    Kat :)


Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails