Wednesday, November 28, 2012

All That Glitters ...

I've been feeling crafty.  The only one of this past weekend's sales that held any appeal for me was the one at Michael's (craft store).  I have an idea for a really unique decoration for our front porch, and I needed to get the components for some of the ornaments.  I left Michael's with a basket full of clear plastic Christmas balls, and a sixteen papier mache stars ... all half price!

I will show you the balls later, once I'm finished with them.  For now, this is what I did to the stars.

 
 
And here is a step-by-step of how I did it.   Normally, I wouldn't do a tutorial about how to paint and glitter some papier mache stars, assuming that everyone knows how how this is done.  I discovered while helping Janet at her shop last week, though, that there are folks out there who have never used glitter and needed to be shown what to do with it. 
 
It seems like most projects around here involve Chalk Paint in some way.  In this case, I used Old White to put a quick base coat onto my stars.
 
 
 
 
 
After the paint dried (which didn't take any time at all), it was time for glitter.  I used Diamond Dust, which is a clear glass glitter that's available in just about any craft store.  It looks like coarse sugar and was exactly what I needed to make my stars sparkle.
 
 
 
Brush a generous coat of glue (I used Elmer's) onto one side of the star. 
 
 
 
Use a spoon to sprinkle glitter all over the glue.  The excess falls into the pan.  Keep scooping and sprinkling till no more glitter will stick to the star, then gently shake any loose glitter into the pan.  Glass glitter is great because it's heavier than synthetic glitter and it doesn't get all over the place.
 
 
 
All done.
 
 
 
I applied glue and glitter to one side of each of my stars, and I laid them out on the counter to dry.  By the time I did the last star, the first one was dry enough for me to carefully do the reverse side.
 
The transformation from brown papier mache star to sparkly ornament is simple and perfect for what I'm planning.  (No hints ... I don't want to spoil the surprise.)
 
*************************
Sending a special Thank You for those of you who have sent your Kitchen Window photos.  I am so excited to share these next week!  Don't know what I'm talking about?  Click HERE for details.

6 comments:

  1. oh, I may have to try this! I'm thinking mostly white with a little red on my tree this year. I'm in a transition...my daughter took "her" ornaments from childhood when she got married last year, so I put Jeremy's away, and am experimenting until I find a look that I love for Christmases going forward. This looks both easy and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job with the glass glitter coverage on the stars... some gals are so chintzy with their application. Okay, can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve with this project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh those stars look so pretty! Looking forward to seeing what you are doing with them!! It was rainy yesterday so no kitchen window pic but today the sun is shining so I'm going to get it taken today! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love glitter -these stars are amazing. I sometimes spray them with a sealer to "set" the glitter. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those glittery stars, Connie! I bought a couple of those paper mache hearts at Michael's a couple weeks ago and was going to try smearing them with plaster of paris. I think I may need some glass glitter instead. lol!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails