Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Soup to Chase Away the Winter Chill

Whenever the weather is cold and dreary, I get the urge to simmer something on the stove.  Last night, this urge resulted in a pot of Potato Soup for dinner. 



As I was cooking, I measured and wrote down everything I did, instead of my usual splash and dash method of making things, so my girls will now have the recipe.  In the spirit of 'sharing the warmth', I'll share the recipe with you.


German Potato Soup

5 pounds of potatoes (I use Russet potatoes)
1/2 to 3/4 pound of bacon
1 medium onion
4 to 5 cups of milk

Peel the potatoes.  Cut them into cubes, place in a large pot, cover with water, and simmer till tender. 



While the potatoes are cooking, cut the bacon into small pieces and finely chop the onion.  Cook the bacon in a large skillet till almost done.  Add the chopped onion to the bacon, cook till the onion is tender.  Sit this pan aside ... do not drain.



When the potatoes are tender, drain the water and return the cooked potatoes to the pan.



Use a potato masher to coarsely mash the potatoes, gradually adding the milk to get a creamy soup consistency.  (Sometimes, the potatoes soak up more than 5 cups of milk).  Stir the contents of the bacon pan into the soup, fat and all.  Salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer till hot. 



I love serving this soup with a loaf of crusty bread.

(Hint, hint ... it's even better reheated for lunch the next day.)

11 comments:

  1. Totally yummy.

    And we have the same tile in our kitchen. We like it so much we put it in the condo too, although the condo has a clean white, where as the Old House has a crackled Ivory finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS soup recipe has my mouth watering. Looks easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum and what a nice stove.....I have to cook on electric.

    Bummer.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had a big pot of potato soup simmering on Christmas afternoon so people could grab a cup if they were hungry before dinner. LOVE it! Yours is very similar to the one I make- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love potato soup! this version sounds fabulous. I should go put some on to simmer for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious. I have been planning to make potato soup but a lower fat variety with chicken stock and fennel. I love that soup is so easy and we have so many ways to get the deliciousness. Love the gas stove, wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Potato soup is one of my all time favorites! Sometimes I even add some shredded cheese, while it's still hot.

    That looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love potato soup and this looks good!!! Thanks for sharing! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like tomorrow's dinner. Hmm, what can I make in the bread machine to go with it? Thanks, Connie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morning Connie,

    Potato soup...one of my all time favorites!!!!
    One of the kings of comfort food and a crusty loaf of bread is a must.

    Enjoy the day!

    Janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Potato soup is so yummy and the smell of bacon and onions cooking...whew! So, so good!! Who knew it could be so easy to make? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails