Wednesday, November 18, 2009

White Wednesday Roses

The white roses that are still blooming in the garden took quite a hit from the rain late last week from the remains of Hurricane Ida. The cool temperatures of fall always make good conditions for botrytis ... the added dampness from three straight days of rain and drizzle have caused a king-sized outbreak. Most of the lighter-colored flowers have balled and drooped. Those that can open, are covered with lovely purple fungus spots ... how attractive.


Sit back and enjoy a little White this Wednesday.



Alberic Barbier, Hybrid Wichuriana rambler, 1900. Technically, Alberic Barbier is pale yellow. I love how the flowers fade to the most beautiful creamy white as they age.





Grace Seward, Miniature rose, 2001. I love singles!! There's something unbelieveably appealing about the simple form of 5 petals and a shock of colorful stamens. Grace Seward's flowers look like pure white stars.





Snowbird, Hybrid Tea, 1936. The creamy flowers on Snowbird contrast nicely against its dark green foliage. It's a relatively early hybrid tea, that has a much softer form than the stiff, upright modern hybrid teas.





Nastarana, Hybrid Musk, 1879. There are flowers on Nastarana throughout the whole growing season. They come in clusters, and the bees LOVE them.





Dairy Maid, Floribunda, 1957. This is another rose that's (technically) pale yellow. The yellow doesn't last long, and it becomes a lovely cream color. Look at those stamens!! They look like eyelashes.






Westside Road Cream Tea, found rose. This rose was discovered by Philip Robinson in California. This is a tea rose for the smaller garden ... it's not quite 2 feet high here, in its second year in the garden. It almost died to the ground last winter, but it recovered quite nicely and is a lovely little rounded shrub.






Alba Meidiland, 1986. The American Rose Society put Alba Meidiland in the Shrub class ... which is just a way to put it somewhere because it doesn't really belong in any one class. This rose wants to hug the ground and grow like mad. This makes it good to as a ground cover, but I like it best trained to climb. I grow it on an arch in the Rose Field, and it never fails to get attention from visitors. It is one of the most vigorous, healthiest, most floriforous roses here.




Golden Ophelia, Hybrid Tea, 1918. This is another one of our 'creamy whites' for today. Golden Ophelia's yellow buds open into soft, ivory white flowers.




Aimee Vibert, Noisette, 1828. I have the climbing version of this rose. It's trained to the fence on the east side of the Rose Field. Aimee Vibert begins to bloom later in the year than most others, and it doesn't stop until late fall. It is one of the most fragrant roses I grow.




Princesse de Nassau, Noisette, 1835. I love the clusters of shaggy flowers on this rose. Right now, it's three years old and about 4 feet high ... though I expect it will get quite a bit taller as it matures. Like many of the other Noisettes, Princesse de Nassau is quite fragrant.


My final White offering for you this Wednesday is a jigsaw puzzle. (I LOVE online puzzles ... the cats can't jump onto the table and 'help'.)  To play the puzzle, click on the arrow at the bottom left corner of the puzzle. Have fun.

Click to Mix and Solve

(written by Hartwood Roses.  Hartwood Roses blog)

5 comments:

  1. Hi (sorry I don't know your name),
    I love your white Wednesday roses. Nice to see another white rose lover. I notice you have 'White Cap', I have a young plant and am amazed by the blooms! I'm glad you are in the photo workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very beautiful! I just added your blog to my sidebar - I don't want to miss a thing that you share!

    Have a beautiful day,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Connie ... it's odd that I haven't mentioned this anywhere here. I really should work on my 'About Me'.

    Speaking of the photo workshop, I was working on my assignment yesterday. (more about this here, for those who would like to participate: http://bloomfineart.blogspot.com/2009/11/color-me-happy.html)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zuzu, I find the most wonderful blogs by traveling through other people's sidebars ... thank you for including mine on yours. I should sift through my favorites and put some on my own sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes you should work on the about me
    somewhere on the website.Some people might find the person behind the blog interesting.
    Rick

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails