I bought this set of antique double doors forever ago, intending to use them as the new front doors on The Shack. They needed to be scraped and refinished (no big deal), and there was some considerable repair to be done on the bottom of one of the doors (where it was rotted and had been hacked back together with plywood and metal mending plates.)
A few years later, during which time I did nothing to these doors, I came across even BETTER doors (which I will show you some other time), so these doors languished and were ignored. One day, as I moved them to yet ANOTHER storage spot, I had a brainstorm. These would be awesome if I cut off the bottom panels to use them as WINDOWS!
I've been working on doing just that this week.
First they had to be scraped and sanded, with two coats of oil-based polyurethane applied to the sides that will be on the interior of the building.
Next, mark and cut off the bottom panel ...
What once was a damaged door is now a really cool window!
Here is what it looks like with one of them propped in place, high on the north wall.
Later today, I will load up the frames and drop them off at the glass shop.
Finishing this was the final piece of the puzzle of salvaged materials for the renovation of this wall of The Shack. I hope to get to the actual construction very soon.
Cups in the Cupboard * Taking your ball home
47 seconds ago