Monday, October 29, 2012

Homebound and Safe

The rains from Hurricane Sandy began overnight, and have been increasing in intensity as the center of the storm aims for landfall soon on the New Jersey coast.  Lots of rain has fallen, and the wind gusts have been in the 40 mph range so far (according to the TV weatherfolks).  We expect the wind gusts to increase through the evening.



As of now, we have power, our basement is dry (and I expect it to remain that way), and all of our trees are intact.  I don't want to jinx things by talking about it too much, tho.



Waiting for the worst of it to arrive, and planning for the possibility of being without power for the next few days, has been weird.  I have to stay inside, and I can't get involved in anything that involves electricity, because I don't want to be caught in the middle of something vital if the power goes out.  So I've been piddling around, doing whatever home-body stuff strikes my fancy.



I washed and dried a load of jeans.  Both The Husband and I wear jeans most of the time, and our hamper was pretty full, so it seemed prudent to make sure that we have clean jeans.



While I sorted the dirty jeans, I got the idea to sift through the rest of my jeans to purge any that don't fit right ... so I tried on every pair on the jeans shelf in my armoire ... and only one pair went into the Goodwill bin.  (This must mean that I've shed a few of the extra pounds that I've been carrying ... which is an unexpected bonus.)

When confronted with the possibility of a power outage, I always get the urge to cook.  This morning I put a pot roast into the crock pot for dinner.  The house smells lovely!

 

While I made a last trip to the store yesterday evening, I noticed that the bread aisle was totally wiped out ... good thing we have bread, or so I thought.  Discovered when I got home that we were nearly out of bread, and sandwiches are a lunch staple around here.  Have no fear, we still have power and I can bake my OWN bread ... which I did ... four loaves of white sandwich bread, so we should be good for a while.



I have had the TV on all day (which never happens on a normal day) so I can keep up with the progress of the storm.  All of our critters are napping their way through the day ... cloudy, rainy days are good for that.  We are fortunate that our dogs will go outside to do their 'business' when it's raining.  I feel for those of you who have dogs that won't. 

In the time it has taken for me to write this, the bread is done and out of the oven, and the pot roast is nearly ready ... comfort food on a rainy day ... Yum.

 
 
Here is the bread recipe I used:
 
4 cups all-purpose Flour
1 1/2 Tbsp. Yeast
2 Tbsp. Sugar
2 Tbsp. Oil
1 1/2 Tbsp. Salt
4 cups Warm Milk
********
5 to 6 more cups of Flour
 
Mix the first six ingredients in a large bowl (I use my Kitchenaid mixer with the dough hook attachment.)  Add 5 to 6 more cups of flour, one cup at a time, until you have a soft dough.  Cover the bowl and let rise in a warm place until the dough doubles in size.  (I put it into my over-the-range microwave for this, with the worklight turned on.)  Turn the dough onto a floured surface, knead gently.  Divide dough into 4 parts and place into loaf pans.  Let rise until the dough doubles.  Bake at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes, until bread is golden brown.
 
****************************
(5pm)  The folks on the TV news are saying that the eye of the storm is coming ashore in NJ, and we are getting another heavy band of rain here.  (I really feel for all of the news people who are stationed out in the storm.)
 
Our daughter works at the hospital Emergency Room, and she is a volunteer medic with the county Rescue Squad.  She is working a full day at the hospital today and tomorrow, and pulling full rescue shifts both nights, too.  She just checked in, saying that the ER has been busy today, but everything is fine so far.  Please keep her, and all the other first-responders everywhere, in your thoughts and prayers.
 
We are hunkered down for the evening, with a good dinner and a warm,dry place to sleep ... I feel blessed.
 

17 comments:

  1. Hi Connie- I am back from my blogging break. It feels like you are "nesting" to me- I always do that before storm, too. I certainly hope you don't get much damage from this Bad Girl! Blessings to you- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. amen to the feeling blessed part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay safe! You and your family (furry too!) are in our prayers!

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at your precious kitties. My pups have been doing the same thing all day, sleeping on the couch next to the fire. I can't seem to get warm today with all this dampness blowing about outside. Sounds as though our weather is very similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay safe! I know this storm is a big one. Love your bread much more then store bought! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Connie, this post is of a picture perfect day. I have the weather channel on with the sound muted. Your post is more reassuring than you could ever know. Godspeed through the night and for all your tomorrows.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear all is well where you are.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Connie, Glad to see your weathering the storm well. Looks like some other areas arent so lucky. Can't even imagine what their going through. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will keep all of you (including your daughter) in my thoughts and prayers as you have been throughout this past weekend. I admire your foresight of baking bread in advance. You are my "hurricane heroine" right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear that you are doing okay and it looks like you... and the fur babies have it all under control. Hoping it stays that way! *Fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  11. Everyone looks so cozy in their beds. The bread and roast look so good. I hope the weather doesn't get too bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Connie, Glad you & yours are doing well. Looks like you're as ready as you can be for the worst of it. Sending you good thoughts that all remains well. Love the babies all asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soooooo glad to hear you safe--I've thought about you many times listening to all the storm-tracking news.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  14. How funny, while you are working non-stop the animals are completely oblivious. They all look very content.
    Your bread looks really good. It reminds me, I must get back into making my own.
    I hope you don't experience too much disruption. The pictures we have been seeing are terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fun, I was trying to get laundry done too. We always lose power and ours went out around 2 pm. (Just came back on today, yeah!) The storm wasn't too bad here and almost all the trees are in tact.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good for you, Connie. I was set to join you for the aftermath (conference in National Harbor, Maryland supposed to start on Thursday), but Sandy intervened before I got on the plane and the conference has now been cancelled. And a good thing because the convention center is right next to the Potomac which is supposed to crest at 6 feet above flood stage on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am very happy things have not been bad for you. I do hope your trees and house will remain undamaged.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails