Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Feeling Fragmented

This has been a very fractured week so far.  I have worked on a lot of things ... none of which was the blog. (sorry about that). 

Project #1 ... Weeds.

The weeds in the Rose Field are threatening to take over, and I had to resort to fairly drastic measures on Monday.  Poor White Pet is being held hostage by some huge yellow-flowered weed, and this isn't even the worst of it. 



The paths are paved with spurge,



and whatever this weed is,



It's almost pretty when you look at it up close.



I haven't been out weeding like I should have, because it's been horribly hot, and now the weeds have the upper hand.  But, I have chemicals!  Monday morning, I carefully sprayed herbicide on the weeds in the paths and between the roses.  Some of them have already started to wilt.  (insert evil laugh here)

This pokeweed isn't feeling too well right now.


Project #2 ... the Basement Bathroom.

When it gets too hot to work outside, I have been ducking inside to work in the basement.  The bathroom floor is all scrubbed and it looks fabulous!  I had hoped to be able to just clean up the cupboard that I bought in Lucketts, but it was a bit rougher than I wanted ... so I sanded it lightly, and put on a coat of paint and glaze.  The inside is now my favorite shade of turquoise!

This is just a tease ... I'll show you the rest of this when it's all finished.


Project #3 ... the Rambler Fence.

The ground underneath the Ramblers is covered with ground ivy, Bermuda grass, and some kind of wild sorrel.  All of this stuff spreads like mad, and the only way for me to get rid of it now is to use my trusty herbicide.  Before I can do that, I have to give the ramblers a pretty drastic trim to keep them away from the chemical.  

Here's Paul Transon after his haircut.  I like how I can now see the canes underneath the rose.


I was making really great progress, until I got to 'Francois Juranville'. 


As I was assessing the situation trying to decide how to proceed with this rose, I caught the attention of a pair of mockingbirds.  I assume there's a nest in here, because one of the birds squawked repeatedly, dive-bombed, and flapped me in the head.  This rose can wait until I locate that nest.


Add to all of this a fair amount of laundry, some grocery shopping, and a vet appointment for the itchy allergy cat ... and we have a week where I've done a lot of stuff, and I haven't finished a thing.

4 comments:

  1. The areas around the side of our house look like that. Way too hot to do any weeding, oh, and the weeds that line the side of our driveway... well, they are starting to resemble a national forest.

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weeds are just the worst things! I wish someone would consider them pretty so that I wouldn't have to fight them all the time! And they seem to be able to survive the heat, the drought...everything!

    I love the color you picked for your cupboard!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for being able to do ANYTHING outside! How bad are the skeeters there? Ours are horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This weather certainly puts a crimp in yardwork plans. It does look like you made lots of progress despite the heat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails