Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I Am a Dandelion

"The official flower of the military child is the Dandelion.



"Why?  The plant puts down roots almost anywhere, and it's almost impossible to destroy. It's an unpretentious plant, yet good looking. It's a survivor in a broad range of climates.



"Military children bloom everywhere the winds carry them. They are hardy and upright. Their roots are strong, cultivated deeply in the culture of the military, planted swiftly and surely. They're ready to fly in the breezes that take them to new adventures, new lands, and new friends.



"Experts say that military children are well-rounded, culturally aware, tolerant, and extremely resilient. Military children have learned from an early age that home is where their hearts are, that a good friend can be found in every corner of the world and in every color, and that education doesn't only come from school. They live history. They learn that to survive means to adapt, that the door that closes one chapter of their life opens up to a new and exciting adventure full of new friends and new experiences."  (Author unknown)



April is the Month of the Military Child.  I am proud say that I am a child of a military family.  My father's Army career took us all over the world, and my brother and sister and I lived places and saw things that other children only read about.  These experiences shaped our personalities and helped me become the person that I am today.  I am 53 years old, definitely not a child anymore, and I am proud to say that I am an Army Brat ... I think the 'brat' part is particularly appropriate.

7 comments:

  1. Go girl.

    Love violets with those dandelions.

    My dad was Air Force.

    Then NASA.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Connie. Very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Connie. My big sister, married to a retired military guy, had 5 children, born all over the world. The stories she can tell. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd never heard this about the dandelion but it is a perfect symbol of an elite group of people. Thank you to your father and your family for serving our country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a dandelion (Air Force) and I was happy with that till I hit the teenage years. Oh those pesky teenage years. I will say though that it did make me extremely resilient! And for that I am grateful. Nice post. I found your blog from Karens @ Thisoldhouse2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I too am a dandelion~Air Force!
    What a great post!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I'm a Marine Dandelion!! It had a big impact on my life! Great post!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails