Friday, August 31, 2012

Another Daniel Update

I won't make you wait ... I'll just come right out and say it ... shout it, actually ...

Daniel is doing AWESOME!


 
 
In case you don't know what I'm talking about, here's a quick summary.  Daniel is our eleven-year-old greyhound.  In late July, he was diagnosed with low-level T-cell lymphoma of the spleen.  (Click HERE to read my first post about this).  He is being treated with chemotherapy (CCNU) and prednisone, and he has responded perfectly.  (The update I wrote after his first chemotherapy dose is HERE.)
  
Along with his cancer, a big concern for me has been his loss of weight while he's been sick.  He is so thin.  Since his first chemo treatment, I run him across the scale at my vet's office once a week to keep a close eye on it  ... my normally 70-pound dog bottomed out at 58.2 pounds when I weighed him on August 15.  (That's three pounds less than he weighed when he had his first chemotherapy treatment.)  He has a great appetite, and will eat anything I put in front of him, but he was still not regaining any of his weight.
 
 
"Is breakfast ready, Mom?"
 
 
August 20 was our appointment for a follow up with his oncologist and his second chemotherapy treatment.  Upon examination, Dr. Sheafor pronounced that Daniel's spleen is now "dramatically and palpably smaller" (her words) than it was when she saw him three weeks before.  She reassured me about his weight loss ... she theorizes that it was probably the reduction in the volume of the cancer in his spleen that accounts for most of it.  I was over-the-moon excited when she told me this.
 
 
"What's that?"
 
 
Our weight check this week revealed that Daniel now weighs 62.2 pounds ... that's a four pound gain within two weeks!  He is still really thin, but that's okay because he is going the right direction and he should soon be back to a better weight.
 
 
"Yum!"
 
 
Our happy, active Daniel is back.  He has a spring in his step, a boyish twinkle in his eyes, and he has the energy to run and play again. 
 
Thank you for all of the wonderful messages that so many of you have sent asking about Daniel.  It is wonderful to report that he is fantastic, and I can't hardly stop smiling about it.
 

27 comments:

  1. I am so glad he is happy and healthy. Those are the things that really matter! Blessings and have a great weekend- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, this is wonderful news!!! (sure wish I could send him some of my extra weight... we could fatten him right up)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What joyous wonderful news!!!!! I am thrilled for you and Daniel! You are such a good doggy mommy.

    Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such great news! I am smiling ear to ear! big hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. This puts a very big smile on my face!!! Way to go Daniel!!!!! :) happy days!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh....God is soooo good!!!! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so wonderful when they thrive in our care, isn't it? Handsome was so thin when we adopted him... of course he is gone now, but he gained like 50 pounds lickety split after we got our hands on him... Just love that and love that Daniel is doing soooo well..... What a sweetheart he is.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's nice to read some good news for a change. Please pet him for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marvelous outcome, Connie. Purebred or mixed breed our pets steal our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh how wonderful!!! My Baxter is doing wonderfully too so I know the happiness you feel. I hope he continues to bring you love and joy :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look at that happy face! He looks good--much better than when I saw him last. I'm so glad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful news and a great reason to shout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Connie, This is wonderful news!! I'm so glad he's making you smile again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bravo for your good hart and soul!!!!Earth is not only for human beings,but also for all kinds of animals and we have the duty to take care of them.I am so glad for your lovely dog!!!
    God bless you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a beautiful thing. He is really a handsome dude, isn't he :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is wonderful news, Connie. I am so very happy for you, and for Daniel. I've got a big, soppy grin on my face now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so glad Daniel is doing better and that you feel happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so happy for Daniel (and you). What a special dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am thrilled for Daniel!!!! He has such a sweet face. Gosh, it is so nice to hear such happy pet news.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great ! ! ! You go Daniel! Blessings, Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  21. So happy for Daniel and YOU! I just love him :)
    xo, misha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails