Sunday, July 19, 2015

Sunday Snapshot ... A Little Bit More Siding.

There is small progress to report on the renovation of our little outbuilding that we call The Shack.  I spent the past week working to repair and restore the rest of the pile of the Shack's siding that we removed earlier in the year.  Yesterday morning, my husband and I installed some of that siding ... until the weather got too hot and forced us to quit for the day. 

When we started on it yesterday, the north wall of The Shack looked exactly the same as when you last saw it in THIS post.


End of day photo, 7/6/15.


It takes more time than you'd think to sort through the restored siding to choose which pieces to use, in order to have as little waste as possible.  I am keenly aware that I only have the Shack's existing siding available for this renovation, since it's not possible to run to Home Depot or Lowes to pick up some more 50+ year old half-inch by six-inch pine siding if I run out.  As long as my waste pile doesn't exceed the square footage of these new windows, I figure I'm good.

I was measuring and cutting the pieces of siding, and my husband was nailing them up and caulking them in place.  Soon, we reached what we considered to be a milestone ... the top of the trim on the picture windows.




After a water and snack break, we got back to work ... fabricating and installing aluminum window flashing, adding spacer strips over the window trim, and nailing up one more course of siding.


End of day, 7/18/15.


By this time, it was getting to be close to noon and the temperature and humidity made for uncomfortable working conditions.  We put away our tools and quit for the day ... pleased with what we accomplished, and excited to get back to it when the weather is more favorable.

Happy Sunday, Everyone!

********************
Sunday Snapshots are posts devoted to moments in time that represent glimpses into everyday life in Hartwood, or wherever else I happen to be at the time. 

13 comments:

  1. Wait, did you finish all of the sides?!? Holy moly! It is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, somehow I missed your earlier July post about the work so I just answered my question. Very impressive!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! It took the two of us a bit of time to figure out how to work well together on this project. I measure and cut, he hammers and caulks. We make a good team.

      Delete
  2. Looking good my friend .. looking good!! Noon is about our outside working cut off time too... :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It took extra energy for us to get that last piece of siding on the upper right cut and hammered into place, because we were already pretty much spent by that time. Working outside in summer is always a challenge.

      Delete
  3. Happy Sunday to you too. Good progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm anxious to get back to it ... when the weather cooperates.

      Delete
  4. I pity anyone trying to work outside in the heat! My hat's off to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how people do it when their jobs require them to be out when the heat and humidity make conditions so dangerous. It's typical for us to have spells of 90+ temps with ultrahigh humidity, but there are also pretty much equal periods of nicer summer weather. We have to remain flexible and do what we can to take advantage of the cooler days to continue to peck away at getting the rest of this side of the building finished.

      Delete
  5. Looking GREAT! Quitting work when the heat tells your bodies that it's time is a good thing. You certainly don't want to overdo it when it's hot out. Hopefully you'll have some cooler temps for your next round of siding work.

    Have a wonderful week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are lucky with this side of the building, since it faces due north and is in the shade till well after noontime. I have plenty of things to do to keep me busy inside in the a/c when it’s hot and humid like it’s been for the past few days. I admit that I’m anxious to get out there and see how much farther we can get on our next workday. Next step is to cut and install trim on those curved windows … now THAT’S gonna be a challenge.

      Delete
  6. This looks like another fantastic project. I still envy your greenhouse. :) It's going to be a great studio.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear you are stopping as the day heats up. This weather has been unbearable for outdoor work! Love the progress you are making on the shack!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails