Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Turkeys

Living out in the country like we do, we never know what's going to wander down the lane.  This time, it was three turkeys.



These look like hens to me ... not that I'm any great expert on turkeys, you understand.  They were loping along, pecking at the ground.  Turkeys are fairly wary, and I have never been able to get anywhere close to one.  (These photos were taken with my long lens, then cropped to enlarge them even more.)



The middle turkey must have heard something, and she started to run.  I don't think it was me that she heard, because I was sitting quietly on the deck ... the only noise I made was the clicking of my camera.  (and I was about 100 yards away.)



Then, all three of them ran.



They hot-footed it up the lane toward my neighbor's horse barn and disappeared from my view ... turkeys can run FAST.

(I figured I would share these with you, so you can see that we have wild critters around here besides those pesky groundhogs.)

11 comments:

  1. We used to see many many turkeys at the old farm, just up the road. Down here, hardly ever. Weird, because we have the kind of fields they would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep those look like hens. We raise bourbon red turkeys and we cannot get them to leave us alone- they follow us everywhere and are super inquisitive, wanting to be all up in our business constantly. They are so much worse than our chickens. It gets pretty annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to hear wild turkeys in the distance but not in a while. I wonder where they went.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only time we really see them (the wild ones, not our domestic Tom,) is in winter when they come to forage on the lane. They are very skittish and fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband works for the VA at the Livermore,Ca facility and they are covered up in turkey and deer. He loves it so much. Every morning he is there to see the turkey wake up and fly down from their roost and the deer out there grazing on the green grass while the sprinklers are going.. he has a very stressful job but these moments help make it bearable.. He's always bringing me turkey feathers home. :) Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Out of the 5 years at our other house I think we had two years that I saw wild turkey and the other three years, nothing. They must just be picky about where they wander to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They'd better run... before you know it Thanksgiving will be here! *sigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. They implemented the turkey trot to escape.

    (Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, those are hens. We have wild turkeys around here and see them from time to time. In fact, about a week or so ago, there were about a dozen hens running down the road towards me as a car was coming from the other direction. Seeing that they were going to get 'sandwiched', they headed for the hills in the trees alongside the road. Yes, they can run but they can fly a good distance, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been seeing loads of turkeys around our property, too, Connie. They're so much fun to watch. So goofy at times! lol We've also been graced with a groundhog, too, recently. One biiig boy who loves to eat beneath our pear tree. Ugh. But it's all part of living out in the country, and we pretty much welcome any critter passing through. Although, I could do without that nasty skunk who continues to dig up my lawn lately! lol

    xoox laurie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Turkeys have excellent hearing and can also fly. I've seen turkeys fly to the top of a 50' tree...that was an amazing sight. I bet it smells wonderful around your place now, all those lovely roses.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails