Thursday, March 10, 2011

Auction of Rare Roses in Southern California.

If you love roses and are convenient to Thousand Oaks, California, you will want to attend this auction on Saturday.  (that's March 12 ... like two days from now!)  The Ventura County Rose Society works all year to collect rare and unusual roses for this auction, which is their major fundraiser for the year.  The selection is always stellar!

The enormous arrangement of roses in this vase contains only three stems of Morey's Pink.


The society members and volunteers work with nurseries and individuals to gather roses that are usually not widely available.  The auction CATALOG reads like a wonderful encyclopedia, and contains beautiful photos of each of the roses in the auction. 

Baby Cecile Brunner


Camellia Rose


Each year, there are always roses in this auction that I cannot resist.  For those of us who live on the complete opposite side of the country, the society has an online bidding program.  A member on site will bid at the auction on behalf of online bidders, and any roses won will be shipped to the winner (shipping charges are additional, but reasonable).  The online bidding rules are HERE.

Sneezy


"Grandmother's Hat"


I have my eye on a few of the auction roses this year ... but I'm not going to tell you which ones until after the auction is over and I know if I won them or not.  (My checkbook will appreciate it if I have as little competition as possible during the bidding.) 

Smoky


Star Dust


Here are all of the pertinent details:

VCRS Rare Rose Auction
March 12, 2011 - 10:00 a.m.
Stagecoach Inn
51 South Ventu Park Rd
Newbury Park, CA
Click HERE for the map.

Click HERE to go to the catalog.  (It's a .pdf, so you must have Adobe Reader installed to view it.)

(The photos in this post are some of the roses in the auction that I already have in my collection and that I really enjoy.) 

7 comments:

  1. I wish I lived closer or knew what to bid on online! I want some of those gorgeous Morey's Pink. So I'll let you do the bidding and then buy them from you once you have them for sale at your place!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning, Connie!

    Wow...I love the vase of Morey's Pink! Those are exquisite! Of course, all the photographs of the roses are absolutely beautiful. I'd be happy if my climbing rose bush survived to see another year. The last two years have been hard on them...we've had near drought conditions, and everything has suffered!

    I noticed that my irises are starting to show themselves this morning. I also have a few tulips peaking up through the soil. I have so much maintenance work to do in our gardens and the weather just isn't wanting to cooperate with me the last couple of weekends. We have rain again today, but I believe we're supposed to clear up for the weekend. I may get out there in the dirt yet!

    Have a great day!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy to have discovered your blog, and sorry to be at the closing of your other one. I don't have any pets any more but I still have a great love of animals and I have put the "Greyhound Rocks" logo on my side-bar if that's okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun to be able to bid on these rare roses! I hope you win all the ones you've chosen!
    Love the Grandmother's Hat, I just adore a clear pink rose!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first picture is amazing for only three stems! So many beautiful roses...I wish I lived closer. I have seen Grandmothers Hat somewhere maybe ARE? But I thought when I saw it that one day I hoped to have her. Can't wait to see what you end up with! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so agree. Those three stems are amazing. What a lovely and simple arrangement.But Grandmother's Hat and Star Dust are favorites too. My horse was named Star dust, so that maybe part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. how wild is this but my brother lives in Newbury Park...oh to visit and be able to take home a beautiful rose...I can dream...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails