During Day #1 and #2, I was working by myself. Day #3 was special because I had some help ... my sweet husband. He pulled weeds and spread mulch, while I pulled weeds and laid landscape fabric. We make a great team.
This shows our progress as we quit work for the day. The center bed was completed on Day #1, and the outer left-hand bed on Days #2 and #3.
I will start working on the outer right-hand bed later this morning.
This photo is a pretty good example of the Before and the After.
For now, I prefer to focus on the lovely After.
The roses are so small because this is all the live wood that was left after I pruned off the parts that were killed by our unusually cold winter.
Have I showed you my bottle trees before? (there are two of them, though I only photographed one.) I bought the metal tree part at a garden show years ago. I originally had them full of blue wine bottles, but that was too heavy for the frame. To reduce the weight, I changed them to 'flowers' with blue wine bottles surrounded by green beer bottles.
If the remaining bed in this garden progresses like the others, I have two more days of work ahead of me. It is so rewarding to see what the garden looks like now, and to realize that it represents the first time that this three-year-old garden has ever been truly clear of weeds and prepped for the coming season. I know that some weeds will certainly reemerge, and I am going to try to get on a routine of dealing with them on a regular basis while they are small.
Happy Sunday, Everyone. I plan to spend mine enjoying the sunshine, working in the garden.