Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mixing Custom Chalk Paint Colors

Though I haven't mentioned it here in quite a while, I'm still busy from time to time in my workshop transforming furniture with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  Sometimes I want a color that isn't available premixed, so I experiment with the colors I have and see what I can mix up.  (Annie's paints mix beautifully and I have never yet ended up with a muddy mess of a custom color.)

While I was visiting with Janet at her shop yesterday afternoon, she asked me why I wasn't publishing my color recipes.  I guess I just didn't think of it till she called me out on it.

In my workshop, I have a shelf where I have painted a swatch of each of the Annie Sloan colors that I have.  This really helps me when I start a new piece, serving as my inspiration board for choosing colors and combinations.

 
 
Three of the colors on my shelf are custom colors ... they're numbered 1, 2, and 3 below.

 
 
Here are the recipes:
 
Color #1 is a warm greenish grey.  I originally mixed it to use on my Hoosier.
 

 
 
Color #2 is almost exactly the color of a Hersheys chocolate bar.  I wanted brown for a table that I will be working on soon, and I got to work (using a bit of high school art class color theory 101 in the process) and ended up with a color that I am really pleased with. 
 

 
 
I mixed up Color #3 without a project in mind.  I was playing with colors one afternoon, and this soft peach color was born.
 

 
 
I have a stock of empty peanut butter jars in my workshop paint cabinet, to use for mixing and storing my custom colors.  The jars are clear (so I can see the color), plastic (I'm a bit of a klutz sometimes), and a good size for mixing up enough paint for a large piece. 
 
I will be finishing up a little side table later in the week.  Here is a preview of the drawer front.
 
 
That's 'Old Violet' and my custom Greenish Grey, lightly distressed with a coat of clear wax.
 
For all of you Chalk Paint lovers out there ... do you have any favorite custom color recipes that you would like to share?
 

10 comments:

  1. Oh my, I get challenged when choosing colors. Been in the process lately and it is my least favorite job in all of construction projects! Boringly so ... white is my usual go-to-color.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad I found your blog, I'm just starting out with AS Chalk Paint I really enjoyed your post! Now I just need to get more paint colors, I just have sample pots of Paris Grey and French Linen.
    I'm following you on Pinterest, you should do a board with projects you have done with the paint!
    Rondell

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Connie,

    Great color mixes! I love mixing Cream and Arles for a lovely buttery yellow.

    See you soon and thanks for the shout out!

    Janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a talent for this! Paint colors, mixing custom colors and also when you paint furniture!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking colors, Connie. I think those custom colors really make a piece- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok....I guess it's time for me to think outside my Annie Sloan box, Connie! lol! I love the colors you mixed. That purple looks fabulous with your custom color! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration, girlie! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Connie, Your custom colors are incredible. You get so much done and do it so well. Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I custom color ASCP as well - but yours take it to a whole new level -
    definitely your newest follower - would love to have you come by and follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been wondering about your furniture projects. I always look forward to seeing what you have accomplished. You come out with the most beautiful pieces! I look forward to seeing this next one ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails