Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Got Marshmallows?

One of the autumn rituals here on the farm is the annual (or whenever) Burning of the Brush Pile.  This year, there have been trees come down here and next door at the Winery, limbs that fall, and truckloads of brush and weeds, all added to a brush pile in our pasture that can actually be seen from space.


The guy who is preparing my gardens offered to torch the pile and tend it with his tractor today.  It's a good day to do this, since we had so much rain recently and there is almost no chance of the fire spreading beyond the pile.



Smoke has been blowing across the fields as the pile burns.



Periodically, my guy will push the pile with the tractor to turn it so it burns more efficiently.  (didn't get a photo of this ... sorry.)




As quickly as it's been burning, the huge heap of brush should be reduced to a smoldering pile of coals before dinnertime.

(written by Hartwood Roses.  Hartwood Roses blog.)

3 comments:

  1. Connie,
    I love fire. Wow. Well actually, I just like it a lot. Looks like fun.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you did roast a few marshmallows! My parents used to host a bonfire every year on my grandparent's farm...I miss those days!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a neighbor that insists on burning his garbage and the entire neighborhood gets so angry. It's hard to open the windows and enjoy the fall aromas with his junk smelling things up. Country hick I tell ya. Country hick.

    Di

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails