Friday, October 22, 2010

Flowers on Friday ... Orchids, This Time

Thank you, all of you, for the kind words and support you have shown for me as we prepare to put on our greyhound fundraiser event next weekend.  With one week to go, and a couple of hitches still to work out, I may not be here much for the next week.  I especially want to thank those of you who have sent donations ... every little bit makes a difference.  I am humbled.

Yesterday afternoon, in the midst of all of our planning, I took the afternoon off to go on the fall field trip with the Culpeper Garden Club.  We went to visit a fellow member at her home, and we toured her greenhouse behind the house ... I was not prepared for what I saw as I entered the greenhouse.






It took me a minute to catch my breath and get my bearings.  I have visited a LOT of greenhouses, and I have met many, many gardeners who have extensive collections, but I have NEVER seen anything like this.  There were wonderful things to see everywhere I looked. 

Some were lined up on the greenhouse benches.







Some of the orchids were mounted on bark, and were hanging on lengths of closet shelving (hung vertically) mounted at the ends of the benches ... what a brilliant idea!







Many others were in pots hanging from the roof rafters.







Most of the plants in the greenhouse were orchids, but there other wonderful collections to see.  I was especially fascinated by the variety of specimens in the cactus collection.



In this photo, I see Clivia, Tilandsia, and some other things whose names I have already forgotten.



The homeowner told us that she has been growing, showing, and breeding orchids for 50 years!  She and her husband are immensely knowledgeable, and are generous with this knowledge, giving thorough answers to all of the questions we asked during our visit. 








After our greyhound gathering next weekend, I will call to arrange a return visit.  My friend Robert, who also has an extensive collection of orchids, will be in heaven in this place and I can't wait to introduce him!

6 comments:

  1. FABULOUS!! Makes me want to hire a gardener to do this for me since #1 I have no green thumb, and #2 I'm just way too lazy. It REALLY is nice and would take my breath away too.

    DI

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. The only thing I've ever seen even close to that was at the Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota; and it's world-wide famous for its orchid collection! Passionists are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is amazing in someone's personal green house! Looks fabulous. I know you could visit and look for hours. Good luck with your fundraiser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, breathtaking! To think I can't even get an orchid to re-bloom! This would be heaven for me!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have been in big trouble there. Orchids are one of my favorite indoor plants and on occasion, I can get them to re-bloom.
    Love the white ones!

    -Rene

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one little orchid that im amazed is still alive. I have a bad record with house plants now that its my job to keep them alive at work.... i guess I dont want to do much more watering once i get home. But somehow this little white beauty is still kickin!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails