Friday, January 1, 2010

Hollywood Cemetery ... Flowers on Friday.

The new year has arrived, and Friday Flowers here at the Hartwood blog lives on.  This morning, let's see some more of the photos that I took this summer during my visits to Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond ...  along with the markers on the plots where the roses were planted.


These first three roses are probably all Safrano.





















Duchesse de Brabant is also found on more than one grave.















Most of the roses I have photographed here, however, are unknown to me right now.  I'm sure someone knows what they are ... I just haven't talked to the right person yet, I guess.











































I have featured Hollywood Cemetery here before, and I have no doubt that I will do so again.  (Click HERE to see a slideshow of photos I took in June 2009)  This place is a treasure, tucked beside the James River just beyond Richmond's downtown area ... you just have to see it for yourself. 

(written by Hartwood Roses.  Hartwood Roses Blog.)

4 comments:

  1. For a time I lived within walking distance of Hollywood. It was one of my favorite places to stroll and to take out of town visitors. I am not sure what they thought of it, but they were polite enough to say they had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems Virginia is more into preserving there cemeteries than North Carolina. Everything has been mowed to the ground here, save a few private family country cemeteries. I find only remnants of a tea (usually Isabella Sprunt) here or there. It seems no one cares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The second rose from last looks like rosa moshcata "Burwell". It is known to be in Richmond. Stephen Scaniello made reference to it at the Lynchburg seminar a couple of years ago. Very rare, and not in commerce. Malcolm Manners has propagated it from the Huntington collection. The cuttings were taken from the musk at the Burwell School in Hillsborough NC in 1980.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's good to see that others like Hollywood Cemetery as much as I do. I have taken my friends and house guests to visit there, too. The setting is perfect, with the trees and shrubs and statuary ... it's a treasure.

    Virginia is no more likely to preserve their cemeteries than any other locality. Most cemeteries here are completely devoid of plantings, too. Weed wackers and herbicides are a blessing to the maintenance crews, but they have done in many a plant or shrub on great-grandma's grave. This is why I have little conscience about taking a cutting or two, if the rose in question appears to be in jeopardy. The mama plant of a polyantha I rustled from a cemetery in Fauquier County has been destroyed ... it lives on, however in my garden.

    Good eye on identifying the musk rose. I must have been distracted when I included that photo in the unidentified section, because I know exactly what that one is. You were at the Lynchburg symposium? Me too. I've been to both of them, though last year's wasn't rose related, and I'll attend as many as they offer. The cemetery people there are lovely, and they put together a very unique weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails