Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Weeds are Winning.

The weather these past few days has been perfect for working in the garden ... and there's so much to do.



This is what many of the roses on the east end of the Rose Field looked like a few days ago.  The winter annual weeds are thick and lush and EVERYWHERE.  Look at the variety of weeds in such a small area!  In the photo below, I see lamium, dandelion, chickweed, onions, and who-knows-what-else.



Some of the rows were a disgrace.

Gruss an Teplitz and Ducher, with Belle Vichysoise in the background on the fence.


I think this is the Noisette row.


The husband and I scooted along the paths on the seat of our pants, pulling weeds and pruning dead wood off the roses, and we are gradually made progress.

A detail of Bengal Fire, before.

Same spot, after.


This is what I saw as I looked up at the end of the day on Sunday, as I sat at the far end of the row of Chinas and Noisette climbers ... blue sky, green roses, and very few weeds.  This had been one of the worst rows, and it felt really good to finish it.



The Damask and Gallica section looks fabulous now!  Before we started, it was almost impossible to get down these rows.  The roses were overgrowing the paths, and the weeds filled in every available space.



All of the roses are budding out nicely.  Some of the buds are even showing color.  It won't be long before I can show you flowers!!

(written by Hartwood Roses.  Hartwood Roses blog.)

3 comments:

  1. I can wait to see your roses in bloom! And what a good job you did weeding the roses...wish I could help you -I love getting my hands dirty:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It takes a brave gardener to show her weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evil weeds, they are springing up everywhere in our yard too! Your garden is looking so pretty, I can't wait to see it!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails