Thursday, September 29, 2016

Where Did My Blogroll Go?


Google/Blogger has done something that made my blogroll disappear.


My blogroll used to be right there on the sidebar, between the baseboard tutorial and the photo of Winnie.  Now it's not on the page, and the widget is gone from my template.  Poof.  Gone.

I saw a notation on a Google product forum about engineers working on a fix.  I couldn't tell if this was a real answer or a canned reply.  I used the Internet Wayback Machine to pull up a recently-cached copy of my blog so I can at least write down what I had there, which I have done ... because I just know that I'm gonna have to recreate it.

In the meantime, it's gonna be hard for me to easily keep up with all the latest stuff on my favorite blogs.  Thanks, Google. 

(This post looks odd because I'm on my iPad, out of town, doing fun stuff for the next few days.  The Blogger iPad app doesn't let me do pretty stuff like I can do with my PC.  I have a recommendation for a different app, which I will test drive soon, and let you know how it goes.)

*************************
Edited to add:  Though my Blogroll itself vanished without a trace, the Blog List widget is still available when you click 'Add a Widget' to your blog's layout.  I did this to add the blogroll back to my sidebar, and now I'm rebuilding my list.  It looks as if I'm about halfway finished as of this morning, 10/5/16.

19 comments:

  1. Hope you can get it all figured out. I'm still trying myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't going to post while I'm away from home, but this blogroll disappearance needed one of my public service type posts. Since my laptop is home and I'm not, primitive iPad post was gonna have to suffice.

      Delete
  2. Hi!!

    My blog roll disappeared too and I have had to put 30 plus blogs back!! I know there are ones I forgot, so annoying.

    And frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frustrating, indeed! Try this link to see if you have remembered all of the blogs that you read.
      http://fauxfuchsiastyle.blogspot.com/2016/03/easter-2016.html

      Delete
  3. mine is gone too. which is how i found you. i'm on friend's blog looking at their lists and copying them down. damn!!! this is horrible!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gone! At least we can bring up old screen shots, like going back in time, to get the list of blogs that vanished. Thank goodness for web crawlers that do this! Here is a link for you to use for your blog.
      http://web.archive.org/web/20160619042258/http://cotedetexas.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  4. Why not just read from your dashboard? That's where I've always read from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you telling me that you read from your dashboard. I have a lot more blogs on my dashboard than blogroll. Blogroll blogs get read whenever there's a new post, dashboard blogs get read whenever I feel like it. For now, at least I still have the dashboard reading list. Thanks for reminding me about this.

      Delete
  5. LOL.. I was going to say... your whole blog looks different. I use my blogroll too... haven't thought about using the dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks different to me, too. That's how I realized that the blogroll was gone. I remember a notation from Google at the top of my dashboard for the past week or so, saying that there would be a change to the search function effective on September 29. I wonder if this is part of that 'upgrade'?

      Delete
  6. I woke up this morning to find my blogroll gone as well. Bummer! My Google search lead me to your posting as well as the answer that Linda gave. ON a Google forum they said their engineers are working on it and should have things restored within the next few days.

    They must have been making improvements to Blogger. Personally I'm happy with the way things are and wish they'd just leave things be.

    Arlee Bird
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems to be a lot going on with google lately. not liking google

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was going to ADD a blog roll to my blog!
    Maybe I should do that now and see what happens!?
    Hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  9. mine is gone too. what is google into now. I notice it hasn't happened to other blogs I pull up.
    not liking google.

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad to have found your blog again and now I can add to my new list.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Blogger has been messing with everything. I'm also bummed they quit supporting Picasa as I don't really want my photos attached to my account in Google Plus. I may have to switch over to wordpress, if I can figure out how.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had about 200 blogs I followed so too many to rebuild. But if you need to find the blogs you followed before you can go to your blog's editing page, where you see all your options for that blog, and at the bottom you will see reading list. It should have the updated feeds for all the blogs you once followed. of course no one can see them there but you but if you needed to rebuild your blogroll that would be the easy way to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails