Tuesday, September 20, 2016

A Master Bedroom Before and After

Two or three years ago, I painted the pine dresser in our master bedroom and got rid of the huge, dated mirror that came with it.  Since then, the wall above the dresser has been empty.  I have kept my eye open for something to put there, but I haven't found anything that felt right to fill the space.  (I would rather leave a spot blank till the right element comes along, instead of filling it for the sake of filling it.)  I mentioned my dilemma in THIS blog post about how I found the lamps that are on the dresser.



Anyway ... I was cleaning the bedroom yesterday (specifically, taking all of the stuff off of our dresser and dusting) and I had a brainstorm.  We have a painting stored in the living room that might look good in this spot!  It's huge and I bought it last year at Covesville Store, intending to use it above the mantel in the living room.  I quickly scurried downstairs to get the painting, brought it upstairs and leaned it against the wall to try it out in the spot, and ....



... it looks WAY better here than it ever would have in the living room.  The light is different on this side of the house, and it beautifully sets off the colors of the trees and mountains in the painting.  I think it's perfect.

Now I just have to get out my tools and hang it properly ... maybe tomorrow.

18 comments:

  1. Love the photo, the scenery is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was drawn to this painting because it looks so much like the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains.

      Delete
  2. I actually like it right where it is! I wouldn't hang it but that's my style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might agree with you, except for the fact that our cats will most certainly tip it over at some point.

      Delete
  3. The painting looks perfect on the dresser, I think the lights of the lamps make the autumn colors of the scenery even nicer, so may be it's nicer not to hang it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right. The lamp light highlights the trees and makes the painting come alive. In the living room, which is on the northeast corner, is the darkest room in the house. Our bedroom, in the opposite southwest corner, is much brighter.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful painting and just right in that space. I feel like walking right up to and into the painting and on down the road to see where it leads. :-)

    Have a lovely Wednesday ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Large wall with low ceiling ... this painting is perfect for that application. Also, it's something that won't bug me to see every morning and evening from bed, since this wall faces the foot of our bed.

      Delete
  5. Very nice. I like it the way it is, too, although I would probably hang it as well to add some "height" to the area.

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to hang paintings a bit low, as you saw when you were here, so putting it on the wall will only raise it up about a foot or so.

      Delete
  6. I like it leaning, Connie. Take some time with it before you decide ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely take time, if only because I'm too preoccupied with the many responsibilities that are bearing down on me this fall. It's still leaning, as of now, and it will be for a while. I sure hope that the cats don't knock it over.

      Delete
  7. Thanks! I love shopping the house like this. We have WAY too much stuff, and it feels awesome to put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like it was meant to be, Connie! I was just getting ready to rid myself of a couple of my parents' old oil paintings, when I decided to try one above the couch. And now I've hung the other one at the top of the stairwell. Weird - I always thought I hated those pictures when I was younger. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a beautiful painting! And great size! I see the case for leaning but I guess I am a bit stodgy and think proper paintings need proper hanging! But if leaning has it at the right place and focus, it might just be the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the painting! And I agree with Stephen - hang it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails