Waterlogue image of a clump of heirloom daffodils our the front yard rose border.
The Rose Border in our front yard is the first rose garden that I designed and built after we moved here in 2007. It contains about forty roses, a mix of Noisettes, Chinas, Hybrid Musks, Hybrid Perpetuals, and a few shrubs thrown in for good measure. It has never been right, as weeds took over quickly, roses outgrew their spots, and deferred maintenance let little problems turn into big ones. I tell folks that I have learned a lot about gardening in this old farm soil since I did this garden.
This is an early photo that I took with the roses in full bloom, young and still looking nice. It wasn't this way for long.
It was SO much worse than this, as the roses were suffocating with weeds that were taller than they were.
Most of the weeds are pulled at this point.
Just a little clump of crawly weeds left to go in this section.
Originally, the front edging of this garden was a single row of bricks laid on the ground, and there was no barrier at the fence line between the garden and the pasture beyond, which let Bermuda Grass and all sorts of other creepy weeds in. The new front edging is made of concrete paver stones, and I laid the curve of the bed a bit wider than it was before. The back of the bed is defined with 4x4 timbers from our stash of salvaged fence posts.
Landscape fabric is next. Landscape fabric underneath the mulch has been VERY successful at keeping weeds at bay in the other places where I have used it. (See the installation in the front Hybrid Tea garden HERE and the English Garden HERE.)
It takes a while to mark and cut holes for the existing roses and clumps of daffodils.
There are 75 pieces of edging at the front of this garden. It's going to take a while to trench and set all of them.
With the landscape fabric going down, the blank background made it easy to see the solution to the problem of the rose spacing. I am moving the front few roses forward about two feet, and it's looking a lot better already.
The arrows show the patched holes where the roses were, and the dotted lines lead to where the roses are now.
I also see where there are a few places in the back of the garden where I can fill in with some roses out of my pot ghetto.
I'm running new irrigation line, too, because the old one was damaged in too many places.
Even though I still have a long way to go before I can say that I'm finished with this, it feels really good to step back and see the amazing improvement that has already been accomplished.
My husband helped for most of the day on Saturday, clearing weeds and vines and trees to free this Crape Myrtle, on the left. He also limbed up the oak tree, on the right, to give the garden underneath of it more sunshine.
This is the part that's finished except for mulch.
This shows that's there's still more left to be done ... but it's looking amazing so far!
I took those last two photos before supper this evening, while standing in the yard admiring my work (with a glass of wine in my hand). I can't wait till May and June ... THAT'S when the real reward will come!