Last week, while I was sifting through photo files on my computer looking for something else, I came across this photo. Two of our daughters appear to have been keeping themselves occupied by using a crimping iron on each other's hair ... then they took photos to document the very-crimpy results. Look who's background ...
There I am, screwing drywall onto the frame of one of the bookshelf sections. I finished these off by adding casing molding and corner blocks to the face of the units, and installed a three-piece crown molding above.
Those built-ins were a real booger to design, because the self-contained, ugly-ass fireplace stuck WAY out into the room and the window you see was only about six inches from the corner. Inspiration struck one day as I was staring at the problem, and I designed pairs of bookshelf towers that started a few inches away from the side walls and stepped out into the room. The wall above the fireplace itself was built out eight inches or so from the wall, to better blend the fireplace into the space.
This is what the built-ins looked like when we lived there.
This is how the next owners styled the shelves, as seen in a listing photo from when they were selling the house in 2013. (more listing photos in THIS post.)
I finally did find the photos that I had originally been digging through. It took longer than I thought, since I got distracted by my little trip down memory lane.