Friday, November 21, 2014

Thirty Days of Mr. Rogers ... Day Twenty-One

Mr. Rogers said, "It's no secret that I like to get to know people -- not just the outside stuff of their lives.  I like to try to understand the meaning of who people are and what they're saying to me."


Yesterday morning, Winnie had made herself comfortable in the corner of a chair in a sunbeam on my fleece robe.  She and I had been sitting there together.  When I got up, I squirmed out of the robe and left it behind for her.


"In the external scheme of things, shining moments are as brief as the twinkling of an eye, yet such twinklings are what eternity is made of -- moments when we human beings can say 'I love you,' 'I'm proud of you,' 'I'm grateful for you.'  That's what eternity is made of:  invisible, imperishable good stuff."


Maggie hopped onto the chair to share the sunbeam with Winnie, but Maggie changed her mind and hopped back down.


Winnie left her corner and stretched out, leaving no room in case Maggie came back.


"Listening is a very active awareness of the coming together of at least two lives.  Listening, as far as I'm concerned, is certainly a prerequisite of love.  One of the most essential ways of saying 'I love you' is being a receptive listener,"


A few minutes later, Winnie jumped from the chair to the sofa (a distance of about 8 inches).  Maggie seized the opportunity to claim the sunbeam and take a bath.


And Winnie snuggled down to take a nap in her fleece bed wrapped in her blue blanket.


Me:  True listening seems to be a dying art.  I find that many people I talk with are processing the conversation and formulating a response, instead of really listening to what is said.  I blame myself for this, too, and I think this is why there are times when I tend to forget things ... people's names especially.  (I used to be good at remembering names, but now I really suck at it.)  It's difficult to remember stuff if we are preoccupied with something else and we never really HEARD it in the first place.  I'm working on this, and I am trying to be better about giving people my undivided attention.

************
During the month of November, I plan to share wisdom from Mr. Rogers with you each day (from the book "The World According to Mr. Rogers") ... Mr. Rogers's words accompanied by everyday images from life here at Hartwood Manor ... this place that I am blessed to call HOME.



7 comments:

  1. Love that Winnie girl. Always stretch out, and NEVER give up your spot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking a lot recently about this subject of truly listening. Seems Mr. Rogers and the Dalai Lama have a thing or two in common. Might be a bit of serendipity but I came across an incredibly inspiring [and entertaining!] article about the Dalai Lama's visit to a ski resort ... there's quite a bit in this about his ability to *listen* to people, and there's a wonderful message tah boot. In light of today's post, I thought you might like to read it. It's a bit long - may want to grab a cuppa - but I can pretty much guarantee it will be worth it:

    http://www.slate.com/articles/life/culturebox/2014/02/dalai_lama_at_a_santa_fe_ski_resort_tells_waitress_the_meaning_of_life.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something I try so very hard to do, is listen. Not only to what is being said, but to what isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The look on Winnie's face when Maggie jumps up is PRICELESS! so cute.

    Gosh she gets more adorable with every passing moment!

    Have a happy weekend!


    ps I was listening... truly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post... I have a friend who listens completely. Conversations with her are so sincere. There are pauses and periods of quiet that most people rush to fill with words, but I have learned to slow down, listen and then process.
    I'm still learning, but have a teacher!
    It thrills me to see Winnies transformation. She is such a butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most of us have trouble with this one, Connie. Listening to Winnie is easy. She is a lullaby.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails