Friday, June 5, 2009

Final Preparations.

Hartwood Roses officially opens for business tomorrow. I’m almost ready … I think.

It took Steve and some friends almost all day Wednesday, but the top of the oak tree is cut up and stacked next door as firewood. All that's left in the driveway is a bit of saw dust from all the chain sawing.

I bought the first of the roses here in 2002. There was no way I could imagine that the trip with friends to Sherando Roses that day would lead to all of this. Two of those roses, Celestial and Amanda Patenaude, are still here.

Right now, the gardens don’t look as good as I wanted them to. This week’s storms have pounded the petals off many of the roses, and the ground is pretty saturated. Fortunately, we avoided the hail storm on Wednesday. There was hail down at the barn, but none up here by the house …. weird.

Weeds are trying to take over. All the rain we had this week has softened the ground and made it very easy to pull them, but I haven’t been able to put any consistent time into the effort. When you come, you are welcome to pull a weed or two to take home as a souvenir.

All of the roses for sale are neatly tagged and lined up on benches in the driveway. Everything is alphabetized, so it should be fairly easy to find the rose you want. We moved the Pot Ghetto roses into their own area, so no one would get confused and try to buy them.

Some of my friends and family are coming to help, since we have no idea how many people to expect. Kim and Gale will write up sales. Rick and John, ARS certified rosarians, will be here to answer any of your rose-related questions. Steve will direct parking, and Mary Ann will fill in wherever needed … if everything goes as planned.

While you are here, spend a little time getting to know the Hartwood Hounds. Emma and Daniel, and their friend TJ, will meet and greet everyone while working to support their favorite cause, the Greyhound Health and Wellness Program at Ohio State University. Dr. Couto, the director, and his staff are doing the nation’s best research to treat and cure canine cancer. Read more at http://www.greyhoundsrock.org/.

I think that’s all. Tomorrow will be here before I know it. I’ve worked for a year and a half to get ready for this …. wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Connie- I look forward to your opening. This is Cyndee, friend of Netties and we are coming together.
    Can I have some of your energy? Do you ever sleep?!! Love your posts, and your pics! Must be nice to have such a passion and a purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I treid so hard to get out there in time, but too many things got in the way. I hope it all went great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails