Tuesday, January 24, 2017

In the Kitchen Window

I often stand at the kitchen sink, staring out at the view toward the back of our property.  From here, we see the Greenhouse, Shack, Garage, my trusty pick-up truck, and the Barn.  (I also see lots of soggy ground, because we got a whole bunch of rain yesterday.)  What I don't see, however, is much of the garden ... weird, I know.



Looking down onto the windowsill (which is 12" deep) is like my own private game of Seek & Find ... you know, those photos where the idea is to look for certain objects in a composition of lots and lots of items.



I see:  three orchids, a spiderplant, a vacuum-type wine stopper, two thermometers, a whole bunch of paintbrushes, a toothbrush, two paint stirrers, nail clippers, and a cactus.  This assortment appears to accurately represent the mess of stuff that also accumulates in my brain ... seemingly unrelated stuff that all has a common theme.  In this case, it's stuff that I use (paintbrushes, nail clippers, wine stopper) along with stuff that needs to be here (all of the plants).

(Notice that two of the orchids have flower spikes!!  They're Cymbidiums, impulse purchases from Trader Joes, and they reliably rebloom at this time each year ... despite my ignorance at how exactly to properly care for them.)

In winter, staring out the window is how I get most of my exposure to outdoors ... it's too cold most days to do as much outside as I would like to.  This window, and the one in the dining room further down this wall, have my favorite views.  

What's your favorite place to stand and stare out the window, and what do YOU see?

13 comments:

  1. Nothing as lovely as your views! I see my car, my yard and trees. Better then no view at all. It is why I put flowers in front of my window in the spring!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trees are my favorite thing in a view!! (flowers, too!)

      Delete
  2. I like to sit so I am looking out the windows on the bay side of our house. I see the Bay of Green Bay and it is ever changing. It never looks the same. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are greening up nicely there already! I love my kitchen window too, my view is up and down the mountain range to the west a hundred miles or so, north to south. Makes rinsing dishes much more pleasurable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you see are the winter annual weeds that pass for lawn when the grass is dormant.

      Doing dishes is always better with something beautiful to look at. Mountains ... yes, please.

      Delete
  4. From the big living room window I see the fields, the horses, the garden - Your view is lovely too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've seen, you have a wonderful view no matter if you're in the house looking out or outside looking toward the house. Your property is really beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I love your view and the items in your window will. I love looking out of my 'scullery' window. It is one of those garden windows, but instead of plants on the shelf, I have colored glass bits and ceramic birdies, etc. I can see into the 'secret garden', I also see the 'caravan', clothesline, the small back shed, trees, sky, butterflies and birds, flowering shrubs and vines. It is just what I wanted over the sink when I wash dishes, so is a wish come true, when my DH opened up the utility room to the kitchen and made the 'scullery', where I have a double porcelain sink for washing dishes. :-)

    Have a nice day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how all the parts of your house and yard have names! I guess when one lives in a place where houseplants can stay outdoors all year round, a garden window can be used to hold other precious objects.

      Delete
  6. Well a few weeks ago I realized I wasn't enjoying any of my muddy, grey views so I began setting up a rather expansive birdseed buffet. So now I have hubs set up in front of a few different windows and it has been such a delight seeing flashes of color and their adorable behavior. The hawks have also discovered this and there is some circle of life afoot but that's fascinating in its own way too. It's funny how the hawks always see me before I see them. There are eagles nearby and I'm so hoping they come around too.
    I think I'd enjoy any view out of your beautiful casement windows!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My dining room window has much the same scene; an african violet I'm trying to root from leaf clippings, a few rescues from the summer patio I'm trying to nurse along until warmer weather, a lipstick plant. But nothing so nice as the view beyond. I love that you have that greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Odd that I'm reading this right after taking a photo of my cat Ghost looking out the back window and thinking how I hate it when everything is brown and dead and I can see the neighbors house!
    There's a trampoline in my view and lawn chairs in a row, UGH!
    I can't wait for Spring when everything is green and blocks out my view.
    :/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails