Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Project Helpers

On Sunday, I decided to start a new project ... one that has been on my mind for a while ... one that seems like a perfect thing to do during the time spent indoors while the weather is cold this winter.  I am planning to slipcover the sofa in our living room.

This sofa is identical to the red one in our family room.  We bought them for our living room at a former house, which was huge and could easily handle the visual weight of two very large red sofas.  Neither the living room or family room in this house can do that, so we have one sofa in each room. 

The cotton damask upholstery on both of them is showing its age ... splitting and shattering in a couple of spots on the now-underside of the cushions and snagged and torn on the corners from Maggie's habit of sharpening her claws on them.  The shape of the sofas is perfect for slipcovering and everything except the fabric is in great condition, which the main reason that I have held onto them for so long.  Another reason is that I cannot in all good conscience spend $$$ on furniture to have it become another victim of Maggie and her claws.  (I know that you are about to suggest ways to train Maggie or to encourage her to scratch elsewhere.  Take my word for it, I've tried it all.  She is now 12 years old, and I accept that there are things about her that I cannot change.  Her scratching is one of them.)

Anyway, back to the slipcover plan ...

Sunday morning, bright and early, I broke out my supplies and got started.  For the rest of the day, while watching football games on TV, I pinned and snipped and sewed.  I had help while I worked.  Ruby used her head to hold down the fabric, while I was pin-fitting the box-edge of the cushion.



Dorothy is always involved in any sort of crafty project.  She gets right into the middle of things ... very serious about her job as Quality Control Supervisor.



At the end of the day, I had finished exactly ONE cushion.  It took a while for me to cut and sew all the cording that I needed, and to figure out the pattern to accurately fit the cushion's odd shape.  I am extremely pleased with how this turned out.  I tried it onto the family room sofa to step back and admire my handiwork, and because the light in there was better for taking a picture of it.

Do you see all the cat scratching on the arm of the sofa?


I am resigned to the fact that finishing the rest of the slipcover is going to be a slow process.  I learned to sew when I was 12, and I have made just about everything you can think of in that time ... except for a slipcover.  I'm learning and figuring this out as I go, which takes a lot longer.  I will work on it whenever I'm stuck inside, and I will be pleased to show the finished result to you when it finally happens.  In the meantime, don't hold your breath.

7 comments:

  1. But you are getting started! It looks great!

    Slipcovers just seem time-consuming. Not too difficult, just time-consuming. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for even starting this project! The one cushion looks great so I would say you can do this and hey, look at all your helpers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You go, girl! I know it will be fabulous! You're brave going with such a light color. That wouldn't last 5 minutes in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dang girl, is there anything you can't do?! It looks great!!!

    xo Kat

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really understand about training a cat--it doesn't work!! I have a new mattress and it has those "claw magnets" in the corners, just like the old one. I wish the people that make them would kindly leave them out! Ha! My couch has the same issue. Oh well, the cat stays as long as she is alive. That's the way it goes here.♥♫

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am impressed! Sewing and I are like oil and water. Not a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doing a good job! Slipcovers terrify me, and I was raised by a seamstress. I used to sew all my own clothes, made clothes for both of my daughters from babies to teenager, sew detailed curtains and quilt...so I totally understand! I have a few pieces I would like to slipcover, I'll get there eventually! But good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails