Sunday, September 29, 2013

Meanwhile, Out Back in the Shack ...

After a break in the action, the reclaiming of the little Shack behind our house is back on track.  Our fireman son-in-law had some time on his hands last week, so I put him to work.  (He was the one who built the lean-to onto my greenhouse earlier this year.  Click HERE to go to the photos of that project.)

When we last left the Shack renovation, it looked like this:



My list of things I hope to accomplish in here is pretty modest, considering the scope of projects that I usually to take on. 

1.  Sort and store (or dispose of) all of the items inside the building.
2.  Take up the plywood on the floor, evict the varmints and clean up their mess.
2a.  (new item)  Plumbing consultation.
3.  Install vapor barrier and insulate the floor.
4.  Reinstall the plywood.
5.  Remove the dropped ceiling and all of its framing.

The items in the building have been sorted and the stuff I am keeping is stored in the greenhouse for now.  With the plywood removed and the varmint nests gone, we stopped work to consult with a plumber to see what it would take to put water and a sewage connection in here.  He said that it's possible, but it would require lots of digging and more $$$ than we have to spend on this right now.  With this info in mind, we decided to proceed with closing up the floor ... screwing the plywood in place so we could remove it fairly easily if we decide to put in plumbing in the future.

When fireman son-in-law arrived for work, it took a few minutes of explaining my plan for him to understand how I wanted to insulate the floor.  As with most things I do, this is extreme out-of-the-box thinking ... sometimes it's difficult for regular construction guys to see inside my imagination.  (I have been told, on more than one occasion, that my mind must be a very scary place to live.)  Once he understood, he was off and running and progress came quickly.

First thing was to cover the cracked concrete floor underneath the floor framing with 6-mil plastic vapor barrier.  Then, he nailed 2x2 strips along the bottom edge of each floor joist.  The cleats create a small ledge to support strips of 1" foil-faced foam insulation, onto which he placed bats of fiberglass insulation.





After the insulation was in place, he stapled another layer of plastic on top of it and began to reinstall the plywood sub-floor.

 





We have to make a trip to the store to get two more sheets of plywood to fill in the corners and the edges, then the floor will be finished!  This should happen while fireman son-in-law is here tomorrow.

What's that on the floor?
 

Can you tell that Ruby was with me while I was taking these photos?


Let's update the list:

1.  Sort and store (or dispose of) all of the items inside the building.
2.  Take up the plywood on the floor, evict the varmints and clean up their mess.
2a.  (new item)  Plumbing consultation.
3.  Install vapor barrier and insulate the floor.
4.  Reinstall the plywood.
5.  Remove the dropped ceiling and all of its framing.

I'm not sure how much longer I will have fireman son-in-law for this project.  If it's more than just a few more days, I have some more stuff for him to do.

Happy Sunday, Everyone!

10 comments:

  1. Hi... I found you through Kate at chronicles of a country girl and I love your blog. I am amazed at all of the projects you take on and love how your mind lives outside of the box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad you have a son-in-law to help you... mine live thousands of miles away and it's nearly impossible to hire anyone to do anything around this area. So discouraging. I know your project will turn out just as you want it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOOH, a son in law that's helpful. That's an odd concept for me to grasp. Must be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WhooooHoooooo! You are moving right along. How nice to have a handy sil to help you out. It's looking good- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw that first photo, I thought it was my kitchen. Love all the insulation. Doesn't that feel good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could live in that. Let me rephrase that, may I live in that?

    xo J

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could live in that. Let me rephrase that, may I live in that?

    xo J

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your extreme out-of-the-box thinking because it's creative and full of good ideas!! Your floor is looking really good, I can't wait to see everything when it's all done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to laugh about the part describing your mind as being a scary place to live...lol. I'd rather think it's just that men can't understand our language!
    Making great progress in the shack but I do have to ask...why was there a table lying upside down in one of the photos? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. In answer to your question: Son-in-law was using the crappy little table to stand on and to hold his tools while he was working, instead of continually having to tightrope walk along the joists.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails