Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Antique Shopping at the DC Big Flea

Raise your hand if antique shopping is one of your favorite activities. 

If your hand is in the air, and you live anywhere within reasonable commuting distance to DC, you MUST make plans to attend the DC Big Flea.

Look at the genuine distressed finish and gorgeous color on these balusters!


The DC Big Flea is huge antique show, held five times a year, that attracts dealers from all over the east coast.  It is held at the Dulles Expo Center, with hundreds of dealers in two HUGE exhibition buildings. 

It's hard to decide what to drool over first?  The desk, the chalkboards, the clock, the cupboards .... oh, my.


The Husband and I went on Saturday afternoon.  The Big Flea has been a tradition for us since it started in the early 1980's at the Richmond Fairgrounds.  Many wonderful treasures have been carted home from Big Flea dealers.

This antique greyhound print was really cool!


Our house and garage are so full of stuff right now that anything we find at an antique show or shop has to REALLY rise above for us consider bringing it home. 

If you didn't get to go to the show, come along with me, and I'll show you some of my favorite things that I found.

What a wonderful display of enamel pitchers!


There were some really good bargains to be had.  This traveling shoe salesman's trunk was amazing and the price was right.  I already have trunks on top of trunks, with trunks to spare.  No more trunks for me, darn it.



How about this chopping block?  The top of it is a section of a slice of a huge tree, and I love the galvanized base.  You can't beat genuine patina like this.



The Husband and I both looked at each other when we saw this doll, and said, "We gotta get this thing out of here!" ... referencing the Post Office post-Christmas TV commercial with the scary clown doll.



The house number on this piece of stained glass is off by only one number ... if it was 335 instead of 336, it would live here now.



This little mohair elephant was just about the cutest thing I saw all afternoon!  Doesn't he look like Mr. Snuffleupagus from Sesame Street?



This little work bench, with its wonderful drawers and unique style, was totally TO DIE FOR!! 



Another great piece with drawers ... a nightstand with a zinc top.  Notice the 'sold' tag on the metal cabinet in the background.  There were a lot of 'sold' tags on some beautiful pieces throughout the show.



The price on this set of US Navy china seemed a bit high to me.  I don't remember exactly how high it was, but the sign by the spoons says that they are $15 apiece.  I sure love the look, tho.



Here is another display with more wonderful things.  The cupboard on top of the pie safe, with the beautiful armoire in the background.   The rug ... and the firkins!



Those among us who are in love with everything linen and grain sack would love this booth!



More grain sacks at another booth.



I have such a huge weakness for wooden crates.  At $20 each, it was hard to pass on these.



Whenever I'm out antiquing, I always keep my eye open for ironstone pieces for our dear friend Kat.  These pitchers could have been perfect.  The prices were a bit too high, otherwise I would have called her right away.



This was probably my favorite booth of the whole show.  There isn't anything in this photo that I didn't fall completely and madly in love with. 



I saw this scarf in a beautiful booth full of Victorian items.  It's totally 'me', don't you think.



What did I get, you ask?  I was thrilled to find something that will be a present for a loved one, so please forgive me for not showing it to you.  For myself, I bought a lovely rose book.  I always have room to add another rose book to my collection.

The next DC Big Flea will be March 5 and 6.  The Fredericksburg Big Flea, in a smaller venue with fewer vendors, will be February 5 and 6.   Anyone want to come with me?

8 comments:

  1. My hand flew up in the air in answer to your question. I love junking. This flea sounds and looks fabulous. Oh how I wish I lived closer. It's really hard to resist things, isn't it? Looks like it was a fun day.

    Are you getting more snow today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I would be in heaven at a Flea like that! Wish I lived close enough to go- so glad you had an excellent day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great place. Wish I was closer. Look at those grain sacks and fabric. Love the white ironstone. I just had two ironstone coffee pots to fall and break. Now I need to find replacements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm getting caught up on all things computer related so I'll start with the poodle! It's so you to have stopped in the middle of a busy road to rescue a lost puppy...thank goodness for Puffy you did! I can only hope that the owners will finally get a clue and try and keep him at home!

    Next, your snow pictures are to die for! And I'm betting that your ice pictures will be equally as lovely since we are both getting some ice right now!

    Finally, thanks SO much for thinking of me and keeping an eye out for ironstone at a good price! I know I can count on you to be my eyes and ears for all things wonderful when I can't join you on your big flea runs! I'll have to see how things go and maybe I can come for the March Big Flea in DC...wow that rhymed!! ;-)

    Stay safe and warm my friend!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh! Ooooh! Ooooh! I wanna go!!! I'm definitely going to try to make it to one of those dates - that looks FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Florida - or at least my part - is sadly lacking in the antiques/salvage department. You passed up some wonderful stuff. I, too, was taken with Puffy. I hope his owners love him, because I was ready to volunteer to take him. I'd have met you halfway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of the big flea. This is an amazing bit of news to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, so many beauties. I would have had a VERY hard time saying No to anything. These are the times I wish I still lived in the area.. then I remember the traffic and that thought clears right out of there. Happy hunting in February :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails