(If you're not familiar with our basement bathroom project, you can come up to speed with these links: Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3.)
Framing finished, and insulation well under way.
We test-fitted the vanity and sink, and found that it was 37 inches tall!! The thing looked like it was standing on its tippy-toes, and it completely overpowered the small space. (forgot to take a picture of this ... here's the one I took in the store.)
(Why didn't we notice this before?)
The only answer, because we both love the style of the sink, was to take a saw to our brand new vanity and cut 5 inches off the legs. To make sure the cuts on those fluted, round feet were straight and perfectly level, we built a jig out of scrap 2 x 4's.
Clamped it onto the vanity with LONG pipe clamps ...
... and did the deed (very carefully) with a hand saw. I was unbelievably nervous about doing this ... no turning back now.
This looks much better now. It has almost the same proportions as an antique wash stand, which fits perfectly with the mood I'm aiming for in here.
Big finial feet are now cute little fluted bun feet.
The drywall is being delivered this afternoon, and the guys will get started hanging and finishing it in a day or two. It should be ready for primer by early next week.
My goal for this project is to have a pretty bathroom with a functioning toilet by the time of the first private garden party here on May 23. It's looking like I may make it, with plenty of time to spare.
(written by Hartwood Roses. Hartwood Roses blog)