Sunday, November 19, 2017

Homemade Pumpkin Puree

Last month, I bought a cool-looking pumpkin and plopped it into the center of our dining table to act as the only bit of fall decoration in our house.  (I don't do much to change up decor for the seasons or holidays other than Christmas.)  



The pumpkin spent a few weeks there on the table, and I even dusted it a couple of times.  Yesterday, I decided that I was tired of it and that it would be better as a batch of pumpkin puree.



Roasting a pumpkin and turning it into pumpkin puree for recipes is really easy!

Normally, I cut the pumpkin in half along its imaginary equator to roast it.  This was a really big pumpkin, though, so I cut it into quarters.



Scoop out the seeds and guts and place the pieces rind-side up on a baking dish.  



Bake at 350 degrees in the center of the oven ...



... till the pumpkin pieces are fork tender and begin to slump.  This took an hour and fifteen minutes with my pumpkin.



When the pumpkin is cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop the pulp from the rind.  I put the pulp into a large bowl and used my immersion blender to whirl it smooth.



I misjudged the amount of pulp at first, and put it into a bowl that was too small.



Extra dirty dishes aren't a problem with Ruby and Petal around.  Besides, pumpkin is good for them.





The results:  six one-pound containers of pumpkin puree.



Pumpkin pies for next week and afterward are a certainty ... and the other day I saw someone on TV making pumpkin bread pudding that sounded really good.  For now, these containers of puree are safely stored in the freezer till they're needed.

12 comments:

  1. There's nothing like fresh pumpkin puree (even if frozen for later). A pumpkin pie made from fresh puree is a magical thing! I always love seeing folks' faces when they eat a slice of pumpkin pie made from fresh puree the very first time. They are super surprised at how fabulous it tastes--how much better it tastes than a pumpkin pie made from canned pumpkin puree. Love seeing the pups cleaning the bowls!

    Happy Thanksgiving, Connie!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like fresh pumpkin best, but canned will do if that's all I have.

      Ruby and Petal are VERY helpful. :)

      Delete
  2. Great idea. I love homemade pumpkin pie using real pumpkin. It tastes completely different than when using canned pumpkin. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good. Will definitely do this with mine. I love pumpkin.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the photo bomb by the cat in the box on the dining room table! And I'm so glad to see another photo of Petal. She looks very happy. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those boxes have been on the dining table for months! One box got left there, and the cats took turns using it as a napping spot ... which necessitated a second box so each cats had a box of their own. It appears that the boxes are permanent, and I'm okay with it.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that´s an easy way to make pumpkin puree. Until now I used pumpkins only for decoration and for soup. I definitely will put pumpkin in parts in the oven to make puree. Afterwards may be I will make my first pumpkin pie.
    I had a blog stop for about 9 months but have started again and hope to be able to visit the blogs of all my virtual blogging friends again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin soup? That sounds delicious.

      I don't visit blogs as much as I used to, and I don't post here as often either. I was glad to see a new post from you earlier in the week.

      Delete
  6. Wow, that's a big pumpkin! I got 3 lbs. from mine. I measured it by cups to put it in the freezer bags, but then weighed the bags to make sure they were even. 2 cups = 1 pound.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails