Friday, February 24, 2017

Flowers on Friday: Hellebores!

My second favorite flower in my garden (after roses, of course) is Hellebore. 





The foliage in the foreground is Colchicum bulbs that I have planted among the Hellebores.


Hellebore is a wonderful perennial that requires very little care and loves to live in the shade ... where it rewards the gardener in late winter with graceful flowers that last for months.







Most of the Hellebore plants in my garden are seedlings, because they can reseed with wild abandon.  While this may be a problem with other plants, which can spread and take over a garden, that's not the case for me with Hellebores.

Look at all these tiny new seedlings!  The larger leaf at the top of the photo is a seedling from last year that's large enough to move, if I want to.






Hellebores promiscuously interbreed with each other, and it's exciting to see what the new seedlings look like when they are old enough to flower ... usually when they are two or three years old. I leave the tiny seedlings in place to grow and get established, and I carefully transplant some of the larger, yearling seedlings to other spots in the garden.

This is 'Pink Frost', one of the few named cultivars that I have.


I want to pollinate some of the 'Pink Frost' flowers to see if I can make my own hybrids with it.




Hellebores are wonderful pass-along plants!  Many of my original ones came from friends and/or plant swaps ... seedlings of seedlings from their gardens.  I continue the tradition, sharing seedlings from my garden with others who are interested.







***********************************
Weather has been unseasonably warm for us this winter, and my garden is incredibly confused.  Some plants are budding and growing right on schedule (like the Hellebores), and some are very, very early.  Many of my roses have broken bud are starting to sprout, weeks and weeks earlier than normal.  Others are still dormant, like they're supposed to be in late February.  It's going to be a weird garden year.

14 comments:

  1. They are very pretty. I'll just enjoy your flowers since I don't have any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... and I love to see your critters and your beach ... that's the awesome thing about having blogs that are windows to places so different from our own.

      Delete
  2. They are amazingly beautiful! I've always had a soft spot for hellebores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them! They're subtle, evergreen, tough as nails.

      Delete
  3. Hi Connie - I recently planted Pink Frost. Love hellebores too. Beautiful and they have a long bloom time, what's not to love? I think about you from time to time when I'm in my garden and send you good thoughts. With all that's going on in the world, I need my garden more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my Pink Frost came from the clearance section at Lowes a year or two ago. As far as world events, my focus is on my home, family, garden, and life in general. I don't waste many brain cells on things over which I have no control. I stay informed, but that's the extent of it. My world IS my garden, and the state of my garden is pretty awesome at the moment. :)

      Delete
  4. I love seeing photos of hellebores and thought they didn't grow here. I just looked them up and one website says this type will grow all over the country, 'Sunshine Selections' of Helleborus x hybridus. I live in zone 10. I would love to grow everything that you up north can grow, but alas, it's not possible, so I enjoy your photos. I'll have to do some more research.

    You have some beautiful ones! How neat that you get seedlings too and new colors. It must be a real joy seeing them wake up and bloom. Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many things that you can grow outside in the soil that I have to keep in pots and protect from our freezing winters (though this winter hasn't been much in the freezing department). The flip side is that I can grow things that REQUIRE winter chill to be their best! As I said to Denise, above, I love how blogs give us a glimpse into the lives and locations of other people. Your tropical garden is really beautiful!

      Delete
  5. You made my day by posting the hellebore's. They are one of my favorites as well. I would love to get a seedling or two from you. You are right, every time I drive up and down Rt. 17 I think of you. Sometimes it's early, sometimes late, which translates to rushing to get to our destination or cranky and just need to get home after a long work week. One of these days we will surprise you! I am going to make my calendar for March rose pruning day at Hollywood. I don't know if I can do it, but is on my bucket list. I was so sorry to hear about Winnie :( Our pets hold such special places in our hearts. They are part of us. The love continues. Take care my friend. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always eagerly await the Hellebores! You want seedlings? You shall have them. As many as you want.

      Thank you for the kind thoughts about Winnie. She sure was an awesome dog!

      Delete
  6. Oh, thank you for posting about Hellebores. I moved to a new house last October, and one of our large pines has a large terraced garden area around the trunk that I've been thinking about for planting. I might try these...don't have any experiences with them, so we'll see how it goes. Your lovely photos always inspire me. I'm anxious to plant some roses too. We only have one from the previous owners, and it's putting out new shoots already. Living in a new climate and pH type has been challenging, but fun. I've learned so much from your postings...thank you for sharing your garden with us. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only real care info for Hellebores is to remember to put them in shade ... damp shade, dry shade, or whatever shade you have. In late winter, when the new sprouts come from the center of the plant, carefully cut off the ratty foliage from the previous year ... being mindful not to cut off the new growth and flower buds. That's all!

      Delete
  7. These are beautiful! I must add these to the gardens. I have said that for several years now and your post is moving me closer to action. Your photographs are lovely!
    I was surprised to see a bloom on my Cl. Old Blush this weekend. I have never had a bloom in February before. We are about a month early here with many roses loaded with blooms that look like they could peak March 15 instead of April 15. Roses and daffodils will be an interesting combination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing this beautiful perennial with us, Connie! I think I'm going to have to get some.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails