Friday, June 24, 2016

My Favorite Music

I am a child of the hard rock 1970s.  I loved parties and dancing to disco, but my heart was already given to Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Alice Cooper, and others.  As I have gotten older, this is still how I am.  I went through a phase in the 90s where Alternative and Grunge were my favorites ... Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, REM, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden.

At 56 years old, my taste in music hasn't tamed much.  If anything, it's now more diverse and eclectic ... I like just about everything.  My 6-disk CD changer in the Jeep currently holds One Republic, Fall Out Boy, Eminem, Adele, Metallica, and (one of my very favorites) Disturbed.

David Draiman, the lead singer, has one of the best and most expressive voices out there in any genre.  Disturbed is a hard rock band, for sure, but the messages in their lyrics are almost always positive, encouraging, and empowering.  Here's an example from one of my favorite Disturbed songs ("I'm Alive" from 2005) ... lyrics that always make me better when it feels like life is stepping all over me.

Never again will I be dishonored
And never again will I be reminded
Of living within the world of the jaded
They kill inspiration, it's my obligation
To never again allow this to happen
Where do I begin?
The choices are endless
Denying the sin
My art, my redemption
I carry the torch of my fathers before me

The thing I treasure most in life cannot be taken away

There will never be a reason why I will surrender to your advice
To change myself, I'd rather die
Though they will not understand
I will make the greatest sacrifice
You can't predict where the outcome lies
You'll never take me alive.
I'm alive.

Disturbed's new album is one of the best yet!  Included on it is an amazing version of "The Sound of Silence", the old Simon and Garfunkel song.  If you haven't had a chance to hear it yet, prepare to be amazed at the depth of emotion and control in Draiman's voice.  This live version of the song is even better than the studio recording ... and the studio version is pretty incredible.  Turn up your sound, click on the video, and prepare to love it as much as I do.

(I could SO see him singing the role of Javert in Les Miserables ... see if you agree.)





Disturbed is on tour right now, and they will be coming to a venue near me on July 10.  I have tickets ... I'm so excited that it's hard to contain myself.

Once a hard rock fan, always a hard rock fan.  It keeps me from getting old.

17 comments:

  1. I only know Disturbed from their version of Sounds of Silence. It is beyond incredible!! Happy that you will get to see them, Connie!

    The power of music in our lives is something we sometimes forget about. Friends and I were just reminiscing about Jethro Tull and hubby and I recently got to see Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats at Innsbrook. NR is simply awesome! Our tastes remain as eclectic as ever, but rock is definitely the predominating love. :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How could I forget about Jethro Tull. I still love them!! Dragged my husband to see them in the early 80s, a little past their hey-day, at King's Dominion of all places. Ian Anderson, flute in hand, standing on one foot like a flamingo ... it's the perfect memory!

      Delete
    2. Glad to hear you're a fellow fan of Jethro Tull!! How wonderful that you go to see them, too (KD used to have some great talent appearing there.) That must have been really incredible. Ian Anderson is a mesmerizing performer!

      Delete
  2. He has a truly amazing voice! My tastes run a bit in the same direction, and I've been known to do heavy outdoor work (with earbuds, so as not to offend the neighbors) to Rob Zombie, STP, etc. And as I turned the corner of 40 almost decade ago, I found Celtic punk and rock, and it took me in yet another direction. Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob Zombie!!! My girls' friends thought that I was the coolest mom EVER when they spotted one of his CDs on my shelf.

      I discovered Celtic rock three years ago at the annual Scottish Games. Rathskelter was the band, which led me to start listening to Seven Nations. Any other recommendations?

      I figured that this post would shake some other hard rock moms out of the bushes. I'm not surprised that you're one of us. :)

      Delete
    2. The Pogues and Flogging Molly are two classics bands in this genre, but also try Flatfoot 56, The Skels, and The Tossers. Have fun!

      Delete
  3. Oh! My! Gosh!!! That made my day. I had to close my eyes to absorb every second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing!! What a voice, and what an incredible rendition of such a recognizable classic. I can't wait to hear him do it in PERSON!!! (EEEKKKKKK!!!!!!)

      Delete
  4. I must have been living in a cave. This is the first time I've heard this version and it was spine timgling. On to Spotify to find and play more of his stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you liked this! I have heard of Spotify, but never done anything with it. Whenever I want to listen to a LOT of Disturbed, I just whip out the old iPod and have at it. (I have most of their music on CD, which I uploaded to iTunes to make it portable.)

      Delete
  5. Ah my dear you surely like hard rock more than me...lol But i'am a huge 70's fan and 80's. I have to say i like the original better than this one. But thank you for introducing me to a new to me band.I will surely check out more of what they have to offer. I hope they have originals or do they only do remakes?? Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like hard rock a lot, but I like a whole lot of other stuff, too.

      As far as I can remember, Disturbed only did one other remake ... "Land of Confusion" by Genesis, or was it Phil Collins. Everything else is original.

      Delete
  6. You haven't mentioned Creed and Altered Bridge....... You should give them a listen too. We are the same age and love the same music (although I listed to some country too!). Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like some of the things from Creed, and I don't remember hearing anything from Alter Bridge. Coincidentally, they're one of the opening acts for Disturbed on this tour, along with Breaking Benjamin and Saint Asonia. I like BB, but never heard of that last one. Whatever they do will be a surprise.

      I like country in general, but new country sounds all the same to me ... geez, now I'm sounding like an old person. My favorites are Garth Brooks, Patsy Cline and other classic country stars, George Strait, and Big and Rich. Seeing Big and Rich in concert was probably the absolute most fun that I have ever had in an arena.

      Would you think less of me if I told you that I also listen to N'Sync?

      Delete
  7. I'm totally all over the place in regards to music.
    Adele, Elle King, Amy Winehouse, Katy Perry, The Mamas and the Papas, Beatles, Stones, Elton John and even some Country.
    I thought I wouldn't like this rendition though, but I listened anyway.
    OK, add Disturbed to my list.
    ;)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we have very similar taste in music. I couldn't imagine being stuck on one genre or limited to a certain time period. I like almost everything! Glad to see that you do, too.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful rendition of a beautiful song. I can see him as The Phantom. :)
    I saw Jethro Tull back in the 70s. Still a fan. I have my Aqua Lung album around here somewhere. pam

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails