Sunday, March 20, 2016

Whew! What a Week.

Last week was filled with even more responsibilities and activities than normal, if you can believe it ... and most of you already think that I'm the most Energizer Bunny-like person that you know.  Final preparations for the Rose Work Day at Hollywood Cemetery filled almost every available moment, with maps and notes spread all over the dining table and kitchen counter, and my To Do list close by so I didn't forget something important.  

In between all of this, I made time for some fun stuff ... lunch with friends on Thursday and Friday, a day of shopping on Wednesday with our youngest daughter, and a little bit of garden work (a VERY little bit) in my own garden, to help keep me sane and grounded.  

The rose day at Hollywood was yesterday.  Volunteers arrived at 10am.  Instructions were given, teams chosen, assignments handed out, and everyone disbursed into the cemetery to do their thing.  I circulated and checked in on the volunteers as they worked.

This was the only photo that I took all day ... fallen magnolia petals.



Now that this is behind me, I can turn my full attention to my own garden.  Spring arrived overnight, according to the calendar, but my garden thinks that it's here already.  Grass is growing, daffodils are blooming, and my roses are beginning to leaf out.  I am really excited to get to my pruning, to put the roses into their best shape for their big show in May.

(Speaking of roses ... Save the date:  Open Garden this year will be on Memorial Day, May 30, 2016.)

10 comments:

  1. That Rose Work Day sounds interesting and worthwhile. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so rewarding to coordinate this! Four years of Rose Work Days, and the roses at Hollywood are definitely better for having the annual the attention of the volunteers.

      Delete
  2. How wonderful that you all care for that place; I'll bet the loved ones of those who have passed on appreciate being able to visit with their relatives surrounded by such beauty. I'm sure it's very comforting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hollywood Cemetery has a staff that does most of the place. I'm responsible for managing the rose collection. This volunteer day was what I came up with to do annual maintenance on the roses and get them into the best shape to grow and put on their show for the coming year. I have met a couple of relatives of 'residents' with roses on their lots, and they are grateful that the roses are getting such careful attention.

      Delete
  3. You're doing good work,friend! Nice job. Also, thanks for calling in the weather yesterday. After Rose Day it poured buckets ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told you ... I refused to allow it to rain on us, no matter what the weather-guessers were saying. Thank you for being on my 'crew'!

      Delete
  4. Only one photo all day? Well, that's not like you at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was busy in my 'management mode', and I only pulled my phone out of my pocket to answer calls from volunteers that had questions. As you said, totally NOT like me at all.

      Delete
  5. Glad you had a successful day. Have fun working in your own gardens.

    Happy Spring ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very successful day ... and I am very glad to have it behind me. There is still a little bit of work for me to do, but nothing that I can't put off for a week or two. I want to see how much pruning, weeding, and mulching I can get done here at our place now.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails