Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Bunk Room Details and Sources

Thank you, thank you for all of your lovely compliments about my efforts to tidy up and decorate our spare bedroom.  It was so much fun to put it all together with things that I had on hand, though the sifting and organizing part of the job was NOT fun ... necessary, but definitely not fun.

In this post, I offer to you as many details and sources as I remember for the items in the room ... in case anyone wants to try to duplicate part of the look or is just curious.  (Remember, the only new things in the room are the comforters and the bed skirts.  Everything else has been around the house for at least two years ... most things have been here for much longer.)  Highlighted text links to previous blog posts about those items.



Comforters:  Tommy Hilfiger down-alternative full-queen with microfiber cover, at T. J. Maxx
Red and White Quilts:  Plow and Hearth Outlet
Bed skirts:  18" long, bought at Bed Bath & Beyond
Antique Rope bed:  Lucketts Store, bought at least ten years ago.
Quilt on cedar chest:  Antique feed sack quilt, shown in THIS post
Rag rug beside the bed:  Rewoven antique RUG from Crazy as a Loom Weaving Studio.
Storage cabinet and white curtain panels:  Ikea
Bamboo Blinds:  Lowes, and I will show you how I installed these in another post soon.



Swing Arm Lamp:  Walmart
Shade:  Lowes
Wall color:  Benjamin Moore "Denim Wash" #838
Trim Color:  Farrow and Ball "Wimborne White"



Greyhound Sign:  eBay
Quilted pillow shams:  Salvation Army Store
Vintage school desk:  Class and Trash, Glen Allen, Virginia
Table lamp:  Goodwill lamp and shade, painted with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
Framed Print:  Souvenir from Tater Red's in Memphis, Tennessee

Here is the lesson that I want to pass along by sharing this ... items don't have to match or even appear to coordinate in order for them to work together and create a welcoming space.  If you buy and collect only things that you love, any space you use them in will be a perfect reflection of your own taste and personality.

10 comments:

  1. So interesting to read how you used all the things you collected over the years and together with some new items, it looks so pretty. I love the greyhound sign and the piggies. Your daughter will have been surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How pretty! I love that diamond patterned quilt!!!

    Great job on the room :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a beautiful job on your guestroom! I adore the quilt on the chest. Tell me, have you ever washed it? I have an antique quilt made with feedsack material that my husband's great grandmother made. I'm so afraid to wash it. I've read everything on the web about it and frankly it scares me. If you have any tricks up your sleeve, I'd love to hear them. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you've done here! You've proved how satisfying it must be when you're able to pull it together w/many things you already had. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the breakdown of pieces in this lovely room. I've been wanting a swing-out arm lamp for my bedroom and hopefully will be able to find one at Walmart myself.

    This was GREAT! "items don't have to match or even appear to coordinate in order for them to work together and create a welcoming space. If you buy and collect only things that you love, any space you use them in will be a perfect reflection of your own taste and personality."

    Thank you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. Martha, I have washed this quilt twice since I bought it ... both times, putting it straight into the washer and dryer. Its fabric is mostly in good condition, and I felt confident that it would come out of the dryer in good shape.

    With YOUR quilt, since it is a family piece, I think I would take a more conservative approach. If it is in good shape, you may be able to machine wash it. If it's questionable, hand washing is best. Question, though, does it really need to be washed?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the follow-up, Connie. The added bonus is you have cleared storage areas in other places in your home. Your bunk room clearly shows as a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the advice of decorating with pieces you love, and it will all come together. My living room is exactly that way, and it's my favorite room in the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Connie, thank you for the thought pondering question on our quilt. It lived in the attic of my in-laws for 40 years before we inherited it. So basically has not been washed for around 60 years or so. I just use it on top of a chifferobe for color. Maybe it is best if I don't wash it as it may fall apart! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have done a beautiful job on this room. I love that you have gathered things and reused many things that you already had. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails