Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Catching Up

Haven't had much time to spend here lately.  So much going on for the next couple of weeks, and I'm trying to stay ahead of it all.

1.  My trip to Dallas was so much fun!!  I spent four days being immersed in all sorts of rose subjects, catching up with old friends, and getting to know a whole group of new friends ... and I met one of my rose heroes, Anne Belovich.  I have no words to express how much this meant to me.

This was taken in the beautiful garden where we had our welcoming reception on Friday evening.


2.  How appropriate is it that a rose I grew from cuttings that Anne sent me is the first one to flower in my garden this year?  I would like to introduce you to 'Dr. E. M. Mills', a super rare Hybrid hugonis rose bred by Dr. Walter Van Fleet in the 1920s.  (some of you may remember that Dr. Van Fleet is my very favorite rose hybridizer.)



3.  I hit the ground running when I woke up on Tuesday morning.  Greyhounds Rock has a booth at the annual Grapehounds Virginia event on Saturday, and I had things to make to restock some of our depleted inventory.  I spent most of my time on Tuesday and Wednesday working on a new item that I have designed ... leather wine glass lanyards with our hand-painted Greyhounds Rock greyhound silhouette on them.

Ruby wasn't very thrilled about having to be my model.


4.  I was in the kitchen at one point yesterday, and I saw a flash of red in the pecan tree behind the house.  It wasn't the usual red of the Cardinals that are a common sight here ... it was TWO Scarlet Tanagers!  I have only seen Scarlet Tanagers one other time.  I quickly snapped the long lens onto my camera, and I crept out onto the deck ... where I sat and snapped some okay photos of them.

I thought it was cool that I got both birds in this one shot.


5.  I can tell that spring has truly arrived, because Ruby is shedding like CRAZY!  She and I spent some quality time outside with the Furminator yesterday evening ... this was the result:



With all of this accomplished, I am disappointed to admit that I still have WAY too much left to do this week.  No time to spend savoring little victories, though.  Fortunately, I'm not playing catch up and I feel like I'm still in control ... we'll see how long THAT feeling lasts.

9 comments:

  1. You had Scarlet Tanagers visitors, now that is cool!
    I have a question for you; I want to buy a yellow fragrant rose that will grow in a container.
    Any recommendations for a yellow rose? I am advised that the container should be at least 18 inches across.
    I always enjoy my visits to your blog.
    Hi from me in California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your scarlet tanagers photo! I have only seen them once in my life and it was a real treat. It was such a surprise, it seemed like a dream.
    I know what you mean about rushing. Spring seems to be the time of year when everything needs to be done, especially if you are a gardener. Hard work, but so nice after being snowed in all winter. It was hot here today. Seems strange to be saying that.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Connie, That's sweet you saw some scarlet tanagers. Ruby does look beautiful, as always. You always get so much done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the shot of the two Scarlet Tanagers. They are gorgeous birds.

    Your rose is beautiful too.

    What a hoot Ruby is, she looks bored.

    Enjoy the rest of your busy month of May.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to begin thinking of you as Wonder Woman.♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had FuN on YouR trip....mine was aLL work. : \
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Connie,
    What is a Furminator?

    ReplyDelete
  8. A Furminator is the world's most awesome deshedding tool! (google it) I got mine at PetsMart, and it's available just about anywhere pets supplies are sold. When it's time to use it on Ruby, I first use a deshedding rake to get the easiest loose undercoat out. Then I switch to the Furminator. What you see spread all over the yard is about 45 minutes of work ... I swear I could crochet another dog with the fur that's there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've ever seen a Scarlet Tanager. That's cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails