Thursday, March 8, 2012

Got Game?

I love it when a tired piece of furniture comes back to life with a new purpose!  My latest piece is a good example of this.



Originally, it was a tired old coffee table that looked like this.





I bought this table at the same time as the coffee table that I turned into the upholstered bench.  The original top of that table was in good condition, and I used it to replace this latest table's cracked top.  The new top is a perfect blank canvas for some handpainting.

Top, before.


Top, after.


This table is solid oak, well built, and it is perfect for some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint magic.  There's no need to strip the old finish or prime when using ASCP ... a quick going-over with a sanding block, and it was ready for the base coat of 'Old Ochre'.  The finish on the table was heavily distressed when I bought it ...so, after I painted, it got a good going over with two grits of sandpaper to replicate that original wear.



The frame of the table was hand waxed with Annie Sloan's clear wax, so it's silky smooth.



It took forever for me to hand paint the top, using 'Graphite' and 'Primer Red'.  Since this was destined to be a game table, painting a checkerboard was a given.  To balance the composition on this long rectangle, I added backgammon to the ends.  After hand distressing and a wipe of antiquing glaze, I sealed the top with oil-based polyurethane for durability.






As soon as I finished taking these photos, I loaded the table into my Jeep.  Ruby and I will take it and a few other things to my booth in the morning.



No time to rest on my laurels.  My workshop is clogged with a really large piece that I HAVE to finish so I can get it out of there and have room to work on other things.  I'll show it to you when it's ready ... over the weekend, I hope.
 

24 comments:

  1. Connie you really outdid yourself on this piece! Amazing, truly amazing! I hope you will get top dollar for this makeover!

    All the best,
    Cyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can add professional furniture painter to your resume!! This is awesome. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great creativity, Conie. This would be so much fun Ina family room or game room. )))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet that took some time just getting it taped off! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! I did something similar back in the 80's and had a set of hand cut/painted chess people. I think I still have the people somewhere but the table is long gone. I really like yours..it is a lot better than mine ever was! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Connie!! I'm sure it will be a quick sale.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're starting to win me over to painted furniture, Connie -- keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful job! You are sure talented. I enjoy your reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is really cool!!!! Great makeover!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so clever and so beautifully done.

    xo Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you turned it into a game table, how fun! You did a wonderful job...as always!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Connie ,

    What a wonderful transformation...Love it!!!

    So Ruby likes to ride in the car?

    Janet xox
    The Empty Nest

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful table! Amazing paint job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love all the pieces you have painted. You are not only talented when it comes to roses but now furniture as well! I was just telling a friend about the furniture you have done and what an amazing job you do. I wish you lived closer so I could buy something!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very creative Connie! It turned out great!~Hugs, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous transformation!! What fun! I am a new follower~hope you will return the visit! Angie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! I am getting ready to do a game table as well. I am trying to replicate one from my childhood! Thanks for the inspiration! You do GREAT work!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a brilliant transformation! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Truly inspired! I really admire your creativity and vision!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ya can't beat solid oak. Your game table is great! What a huge improvement.
    thanks for sharing at Catch As Catch Can!
    gail

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails