Monday, April 6, 2009

The Construction of the Arcade

I needed a structure to use to train some of my climbers. Most of the roses I want in this location are pillar roses (smaller climbers, with relatively stiff canes). These are ideal to wind around posts and grow over the top of a trellis.

With this in mind, here is what I came up with:

The location for this structure (which we are calling “The Arcade” because it has arches) is on the path as you head toward the rose field.

Photobucket



It consists of 10 6x6 posts, 9 feet high, set 6 feet on center.

Photobucket



There are 2 x 10 beams at the top, bolted across both sides of the posts.

Photobucket



Here is the almost-finished product. I designed Gothic arches to go in each space. These provide lateral stability, as well as providing a decorative element. 

Photobucket



The roses I have planned for here are: White Cap, Compassion, Isabella Skinner, Henry Kelsey, Parade, Pink Perpetue, Rhode Island Red, Sombruiel, Pink Pillar and Swan Lake. I hope to plant these next week … as soon as I get some mulch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and reading what I share. Comments are welcome and very much appreciated. Spam and trolls are not!

Related Posts with Thumbnails